Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

SAPUI5 - Backend - Best Practices - Architecture - Getting started

I am trying to getting started with UI5. Especially I am interested in the integration in "old" SAP-ABAP-Backends. So from my understanding the common way is to use a SAP Netweaver Gateway in order to provide Services, Function modules, what ever as OData/Json-Service. This can be bound to within the UI5-Code. Than the UI5-Application could be provided on an own Web-Server.

So my starting point is the backend system. Do I really need to setup a Gateway and an own Webserver from an architectureal perspective? So most getting-started-guides are starting with a local application or with a local web server. This is not really what I want. Is this stuff really needed? I hope not? I would suppose that we need to implement an additional software layer within the backend system. I would expect this layer to provide Frameworks (Logon, data modelling,...) and Development Tools to access the backend data from a UI5 application.

Is this possible? What is needed for that? What kind of tools are available for modelling? How do your best practices look like? Is there also a getting started guid for that?

Helpful Answer

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question