cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPUI5 - Backend - Best Practices - Architecture - Getting started

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to getting started with UI5. Especially I am interested in the integration in "old" SAP-ABAP-Backends. So from my understanding the common way is to use a SAP Netweaver Gateway in order to provide Services, Function modules, what ever as OData/Json-Service. This can be bound to within the UI5-Code. Than the UI5-Application could be provided on an own Web-Server.

So my starting point is the backend system. Do I really need to setup a Gateway and an own Webserver from an architectureal perspective? So most getting-started-guides are starting with a local application or with a local web server. This is not really what I want. Is this stuff really needed? I hope not? I would suppose that we need to implement an additional software layer within the backend system. I would expect this layer to provide Frameworks (Logon, data modelling,...) and Development Tools to access the backend data from a UI5 application.

Is this possible? What is needed for that? What kind of tools are available for modelling? How do your best practices look like? Is there also a getting started guid for that?

Regards

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

You may like referring to the below document that gives an end-to-end process required to develop SAPUI5 application that consumes OData service

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/40d59930-791c-3010-2abd-ac7793ad6...

Regards,

Priyanka

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

varun_boyina
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan Heuberger ,

Please see the below links where I have shown calling a servlet,External Data base and RFC through SAP JCO. I have mentioned all the details required to implement the scenarios.

Please see  if the links help you.

Regards,

Varun

former_member182372
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stefan, at one of the clients I had to implement following architecture: java WAS provides OData using Olingo and in those Odata services implementation call RFC enabled FM's are called using JCo.

and SAPUI5 is obviously hosted on that java was.

That works without gateway and on pretty old ecc version (6.40 as far as i remember)

santhu_gowdaz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

may these links will help you,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

one more question. Is there an overview about the different backend versions? What is needed, which plugins need to be installed on which Netweaver version?

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
scott_stefanich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

You may be interested in a Central Hub Deployment scenario, Front-end System 1:N Back-end System(s).

Front-End System

Core Gateway Components (Build, Manage, and Maintain services)

UI5 Application Deployment

Back-End System

RFC Enabled Function Modules

Having services and application on a Front-End system reduces the initial time in addressing same origin policy and authentication. The services can be directly mapped to back-end RFC FMs.

The main tool for development is the SAP NetWeaver Gateway Service Builder which streamlines creating Data Models, implementing services, and generating runtime objects.

Looking forward, you are set up for subsequent activities: Implementing services in the Front-end System, adding the Back End Provider Component to Back-end Systems for Fiori / Fiori-like scenarios, and so forth.

What do you think?

Regards,

Scott

jerome_lim
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Scott,

From my understanding is the implementation to build the gateway services those data provider and model provider should be took place in which system have the iw_bep installed...

but if we have only iw_bep installed in the backend, can we build the service in gateway front-end server ?

Benj.