cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VC rule to require selection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts.

Looking for some help setting up a configuration.

I have a machine with 5 options and I need to require the customer to select one and only one of the the 5 when ordering the machine.

I have added a precondition to ensure that only one of the 5 can be selected.

But I am stumped as to what procedure, precondition or selection rule I can write to make sure that one of the 5 must be selected.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The characteristic that I'm dealing with is used across the product line and is set up as multiple values.

Not all machines require selection.

I want to avoid creating a new characteristic.

So I don't think I can use the Single value and Entry Required solution.

I am intrigued by the idea of writing a selection condition to make the characteristic mandatory.

But I am unsure about the syntax.

If I have a machine named "Test" and a characteristic named "Bar", what could an example look like?

Where would the rule be attached?

The machine is top level of the hierarchy.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Syntax is the same as in precondition.

It has to be attached at the characteristic.

former_member184627
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can create a dependency net & assign a constraint with a code as below. I have assumed TEST_CLASS as the name of the class.

OBJECTS: Z1 IS_A (300) TEST_CLASS

RESTRICTION:

Z1.BAR IN ('A','B','C','D','E')

*This Dep net needs to be assigned to the config profile.

former_member477577
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your Example:

Characteristic : Machine

Characteristic : BAR

Scenario: If you want to determine BAR characteristic in  configurator when Machine is specified then you have to write precondition like

$self.Machine = 'value' and $self.Machine specified. 

or

$self.Machine specified.

Selection Condition like

$self.Machine = 'value' and $self.Machine specified.

or

$self.Machine specified.

You can also control this depending on your characteristic values.

Assign this Precondition and Selection condition to characteristic BAR in CTO4.

Vipin

former_member184627
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

You are right. If you change in CT04, this will impact all the class it is assigned.

Does your machine "Test" has a separate class ? Then you can do the same setting in CL02.

Select the charactericstic in CL02 & then click overwrite values & select "Entry required" check box.

The changes will be valid only for this class.

Regards,

Senthilkumar SD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To be sure that only one of the 5 values is selected you just need to select Single value and Entry Required in the Basic data tab of transaction CT04. You should not need any precondition.

However, if that characteristic is mandatory depending on the configuration the scenario is slightly different. In this case you can make the characteristic as Single Value and write a SELECTION CONDITION to make it mandatory. The selection condition has to be assigned to the characteristic. You do not need to write any other dependency.

I hope this helps.

AV

former_member184627
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In CT04, for the characteristics, select the "Entry Required" Check box. This will make value assignment mandatory.

Regards,

Senthilkumar SD

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it not as simple as defining that characteristic as a Single value characteristic which will only give a radio button (instead of checkbox) to select the values.

Tell me if I have not understood the question correctly

former_member477577
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you have to write Selection condition with precondition if u want to make characteristic mandatory.

Please provide me exact scenario.

Precondition: It is used for hiding the characteristic if condition is not fulfill.

Selection Condition: You can make characteristic mandatory. 

Vipin