Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP/IP destination from ECC to PI

former_member474221
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to know the purpose of a TCP/IP connection ...what is the use of the gateway host and service specified in the TCP/IP destination..

Can't i use HTTP destination instead of TCP/IP destination

I got the following defintion from sap help but does not make much sense to me

Type T (TCP/IP) destinations are connections to external programs that use the RFC API to receive 'Remote Function Calls'. You must specify the host name and the pathname of the program to be started. The communication method depends on how you select the program location.

hema

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hema,

TCP/IP connection is to communicate to external programs that use the RFC library.

>>>>what is the use of the gateway host and service specified in the TCP/IP destination

For calling RFC server program, you need to tell the system where this RFC server program registered, so if you mentioned gateway host and service, system will look up in that gateway host and service for specified program ID in the destination.

HTTP destination is used for communicating via HTTP, TCP/IP connection is used for communicating via RFC.

Regards,

Praveen.

former_member474221
Participant
0 Kudos

hi praveen,

thanks for the answer.

1. Isn't TRFC ( type 3 ) connection used for RFC ...

2. is it that non SAP system that want to communicate with RFC need to use TCP/IP.

3. program id is any random text that we give in SAPSLDAPI TCP/IP connection like SAPSLDAPI_SID will this program be auto created in SLD which will help the ECC system to connect to SLD ?

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hema,

>>>1. Isn't TRFC ( type 3 ) connection used for RFC ...

Type 3 connection is used for another SAP system.

>>>>2. is it that non SAP system that want to communicate with RFC need to use TCP/IP.

Yes

>>>3. program id is any random text that we give in SAPSLDAPI TCP/IP connection like SAPSLDAPI_SID will this program be auto created in SLD which will help the ECC system to connect to SLD ?

You need to give the program ID in RFC destination is RFC server program ID which is already registered in the gateway prior to this step.

SAPSLDAPI_SID was already registered when you configure JCO RFC Provider destination in NWA.

Regards,

Praveen.

Answers (0)