Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Livecache upgrade- MaxDB?

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am upgrading livecache from 7.7. to 7.9 for SCM 7.0 EHP3 system.

Just one clarification needed.

Is livecache upgrade actually the MaxDB upgrade?

or MaxDB is just a platform for livecache and both can be at different versions?..I mean MaxDB still on 7.7 and liveache alone getting upgraded to 7.9.

Please clarify for better understanding.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Upgrading liveCache is to upgrade maxdb.

liveCache is an optimized maxdb, that is to say liveCache ( kernel ) version is the version of maxdb
kernel version. So you cannot let your liveCache is 7.9, but maxdb is 7.7.

However please never use maxdb upgrade package to upgrade liveCache. Also never use liveCache
package to upgrade maxdb (non-livecache)

Best regards,
James

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

so..as per my scenario the MaxDB still on 7.7 and only livecache is getting upgraded to 7.9.08 with SDBUPD ..am I correct?

Thanks in advance

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

yes, then the maxdb will be updated to7.9.

0 Kudos

- If your system is not on HANA, then the livecache applications (LCA) can reach the livecache tables in a MaxDB database. So there is a separate MaxDB software installation beside the primary database, there is a database it can reach, and the livecache tables are located in this database.

For the "livecache upgrade" you have to do 2 distinct steps: 1. upgrade the MaxDB software 2. upgrade the LCA applications. These 2 has to be changed always in pairs.

- if your system is on HANA then the cocept is different. There is no 2 distinct database software

installation and there is no 2 distinct set of database files. All data (primary database tables + livecache tables) are located in the HANA database belonging to different schemas. In this case there is no MAXDB installation, the livecache tables are also in the HANA database.

Regards, Péter Mihálffy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

MaxDb is base of Livecache, so when you upgrade livecache you have to intern upgrade the MaxDB too.

And when you run the SDBUpdate.sh it will take care of it.

Regards,

Ram

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

for livecache upgrade..SBDUPD is getting used.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Daniel,

Yup True. i missed that. You will be using SDBUPD.sh & DBUPDATE.sh scripts to perform that.

Also you can check sdbregview -l to check the versions of the install components.

Also do keep in mind the SCM7 EHP3 is the per-requisite for the Livecache upgrade.

So you can only perform livecache upgrade after the EHP upgrade of SCM.

Regards,

ram

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

still my question is not answered directly.

Is livecache upgrade actually the MaxDB upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Yes it is MaxDB Upgrade. Cause the Livecache sit on top of MaxDB.

Regards,

Ram

former_member201054
Contributor
0 Kudos

so its not possible to do livecache upgrade without MaxDB?

and liveache upgrades the MaxDB internally?

Thanks in advance