cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No consumption horizon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Has any one designed/used a system where there is 0 forward/backward consumption horizon?

I am talking about the consumption mode and periods that are set in MRP and that get transferred to APO location-product demand tab.

In my experience I have always seen this maintained but an interviewer asked me what if they are not maintained. I am wondering if any one has not maintained these and worked out.

Thanks in advance for your time and advise.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

KA,

You really need to do a little searching before posting such a question in SCN.  The answer to your question is clearly stated in APO online help.  If you come back and tell me you can't find the reference, I will post the link for you.

Or, since this was an interview question, and not a real business problem (e.g. there is no pressure for a quick solution), you could treat this as a learning experience.  Log onto a system and try for yourself.  The answer is pretty intuitive once you have seen it.....

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DB49

Thanks for reminding me that I need to search before I post. I totally agree with you. I admit I did not search before and I did now. I found some part of my question answered but there is another part of it that I am wondering why.

I see that if you don't maintain the consumption parameters, the system takes from MRP group if nothing is specified then backward consumption for 20 days by default.

I see that some kind of consumption mode is needed, if not backward is taken by default. I am still wondering why is some kind of setting needed? What is the need for defaulting? If nothing is maintained, does it mean that we are telling the system that a sales order for a particular date can only consume forecast for that day? Since that is not practical, we assign more consumption period?  or there is another meaning to it?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

KA,

You must be looking at different APO online help than me.  The help I was speaking about is below.  Expert Mukesh has also implied the same conclusion in his observations.

Look at the last lines in

Requirements Strategy - Forecast Consumption and Requirements Strategies - SAP Library

If nothing is maintained, does it mean that we are telling the system that a sales order for a particular date can only consume forecast for that day?

Assuming no consumption settings in either ECC or in APO, 'yes'.

Best Regards,

DB49

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, If you're talking about consumption in APO system, there's no concept of "MRP Group". If no consumption periods have been maintained, only those forecasts are consumed that lie in the same planning periods as the availability date of the customer requirements. Please refer to my wiki page http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SCM/Forecast+Consumption+and+Reduction+in+APO+System BR, Ada

Former Member
0 Kudos

If no consumption mode/periods are defined in the material master, then system will check and use the consumption parameters defined in the MRP groups per plant. When no consumption periods have been maintained in MRP group, then system will consume requirements which are planned on the same day.