Did you mean: 

Veeam backup - vmware snapshot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

we have a system composed in this way:

- one DB instance + CI instance

- more AS

We are testing the daily backup using veeam.

When the backup finish there are some problem.

It seems that the servers freeze for a short period and so we receive some DUMP due to broken connectio, some error that the AS don't reah the cerntral lock handler, and there are some broken transaction (transaction SM13).

We have discovered that the problem is due to the snaphot removal and consolidation.

In fact the problem is the snapshot removal/consolidation on vmware. We have tried to do a snapshot and after that to remove it and we have the same behavior.

Do you know if is it possible to solve this problem?

We wish to do a veeam backup daily, but with this problem it is not a good choice.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards

Matteo Stocco

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

anil_murthy2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Matteo,

Were you able to resolve this issue. We are also experiencing the same issue while trying to perform VEEAM backups.

Regards,

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anil,

unfortunatelly till now the problem is still present.

ross_anderson2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? We too use Veeam and are starting to have issues with connections being ended during the backups. I was under the impression that the VSS services would handle this but unfortunately it seems to be an issue on the SAP (ie. the connection simply fails and will not not attempt a retry once the snapshot process has finished).

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Matteo,

Have you tried to turn to veeam support to resolve this?

This seems to be related: VM Loses Connection During Snapshot Removal.

Best Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

I've seen the link that you suggested me, but unfortunattely it doesn't help me...

Veeam tell us that this behaviours is how the removal of snapshot on vmware work.

Obviously for us it is not acceptable.

I'm not able to find in SAP a note or a document where it is written that veeam backup is a certified solution...

Thank you again.

Matteo Stocco

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Matteo,

It is not a new question in our forums (eg: link - though it was a HANA related thread).

As far as I know it has not changed: Veeam does not support integration with SAP systems.

Best Regards,

Peter Tari