cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I think i am asking a silly question but please help me out. Say for example We have a integration scenario using proxies which has a logical flow as :

JSP Page ---> (Proxy) SAP XI (JDBC) ---> Database

Where will be the XI system installed? Where i am having difficulty is that XI System will installed where there is SAP and WEB AS >= 6.20 but in this case where we have a request originating from a JSP page from one system and asking for updating of the Database in an another system, Where does XI reside in all this? Since XI is part of Netweaver, so in the scenario who will be responsible to setup XI (Which also requires WAS >=6.20) ? Do both systems share the cost of setting up a server for XI? I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you.

Best wishes,

NAB

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi NAB,

The simple answer is "anywhere". You just need to create or import the XI content into that SAP XI, wherever it reside; So that when a call from the Java Server Page (JSP) arrives, SAP XI will know how to deal with it. Then SAP XI will be able to send the JDBC call to the database. In SAP NetWeaver 7.0, SAP XI or PI is an integrated part of it. A question I have is, how do you plan to call SAP XI from a JSP?

I hope that helps!

Regards,

John Ta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

>>A question I have is, how do you plan to call SAP XI from a JSP?

JSP request will invoke a Java application class which will in turn call the client proxy classes. The generated proxy classes will then forward the request to JPR, and JPR will then forward the request to messaging system which will finally forward the request to IS of SAP XI.

>>The simple answer is "anywhere".

John, by anywhere do you mean that XI can be installed either on the machine that the JSP actually resides on or on the machine that has the database. If so, then do we actually install SAP XI (WAS as well) in a production environment just to communicate the JSP with database? We could have done this just by using JDBC driver directly from the JSP page using Java itself. I think i am confusing the concepts terribly. Please help me out over this. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi NAB,

>>and JPR will then forward the request to messaging system which will finally forward the request to IS of SAP XI.

As I suspected ... you will have JPR forward to a "messaging system". What is this messaging system and what type of messaging protocol is it planning on sending to SAP XI (e.g. SOAP, HTTP, FTP, etc.). Please know that SAP XI can only receive one of the following listed here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0d/5ab43b274a960de10000000a114084/content.htm

Also know that SAP XI itself is also a messaging system or what we call an integration system. You might be doing double duty of mapping, transformation, etc. that might not be efficient.

A few more clarifications ... SAP XI (the Java part) requires and sits on top of SAP Web AS (the ABAP runtime or system part). Secondly, yes, you can have your JSP call directly to your database. Why did you choose to go through SAP XI? If you were to throw that question back at me, I would say the following:

- SAP XI is native to SAP applications so if your JSP wanted some information retrieved from e.g. SAP ECC 6.0, then you can do that.

- If a customer already has SAP XI in their landscape, you can make a request to their SAP XI to tap into some other e.g. database.

- Likewise, if you have SAP XI at your location and the database or application is elsewhere, you can use SAP XI to make a call out to that system.

- etc.

I hope I have not confused you more ... you will probably have to do more research and understanding why you need approach the scenario the way you are doing it.

Regards,

John Ta

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>What is this messaging system and what type of messaging protocol is it >>planning on sending to SAP XI (e.g. SOAP, HTTP, FTP, etc.).

Well i dont have the answer. John, actually this is from a article "Java Proxies and SAP XI: The Inside Story- Part 2" .

>>Also know that SAP XI itself is also a messaging system or what we call an >>integration system. You might be doing double duty of mapping, >>transformation, etc. that might not be efficient.

I was thinking the same but i was confused after reading the article. I couldnt' figure out why he was doing this. Messaging system just b4 XI doesn't make any sense to me.

The three points that you mentioned were very helpful to me in understanding why anyone would like to do this sort of scenario. Thanks a lot, John. The points are yours :).

Best Regards,

NAB

Answers (0)