cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Netweaver Gateway Odata- Asynchrounous Processing / Mass data

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have few queries:

1. I am looking for support of asynchronous execution of batch requests that has been added in Odata v4 ( http://docs.oasis-open.org/odata/new-in-odata/v4.0/cn01/new-in-odata-v4.0-cn01.html#_Toc366145470 ).
  2. Am novice to OData, so is there any way of executing normal requests asynchronously ?

There should be some way of processing large request. Please suggest!

Thanks.

Prashant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

EkanshCapgemini
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

As Ashwin said, currently SAP Gateway does not support version higher than 2.0

As an option for asynchronous processing of your data, you can wrap the business logic FM inside another FM. Gateway would call your wrapper synchronously but inside that FM you can call your business logic FM asynchronously.

We have one glitch here that you would not get the return messages sent by the business logic FM that either the operations were successful or not. Just to overcome this, if your gateway system is NW 7.4 SP5 or above, we can make use of websocket connection to send this report to the UI session.

waiting for experts to comment.

Regards,

Ekansh

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ekansh,

sounds like a workaround that can be implemented.

I do however not know whether it will work.

Instead of websockets the notification feature could be used.

This feature is also available for systems that are not running on 7.40.

Best Regards,

Andre

former_member184867
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Prashant Kesarwani,

I agree with the possibility proposed by Ekansh Saxena. ABAP channels come very handy and lightweight to achieve this.

ABAP PUSH CHANNEL(APC) is the mechanism that you can use to send websocket messages from ABAP Programs to Internet. ABAP Messaging Channel will help you to send messages within the ABAP Programs. Using APC and AMC you will be able to achieve some kind of Asynchronous behavior.

But one point to consider is that the application needs to be  online, otherwise the notification will be missed. In case of client unavailability you needs to store the notification and somehow send them once the client is active again.

Check the SP of Netweaver 740 for the availability of ABAP Channels. Initially it was released as experimental only. I think from SP5 it is available for use(please verify that).

Here are some links for you to get started

http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/connectivity/blog/2013/11/18/websocket-communication-using-abap-pu...

Regards,

Atanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

Yes we have thought of notification as a workaround till V4 is supported by SAP.

Will update once final decision is made after considering solution proposed by Ekansh and Atanu,

Thank you guys.

Best Regards.

Prashant

EkanshCapgemini
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

We have implemented the first part for IK11(Create Measurement Document) transaction since the standard BAPI was taking more than 2.5 minutes to process.

Regards,

Ekansh

former_member184867
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ekansh,

Do you also take care of the offline scenario? For example if the listener is not active/online when the notification is sent .

Regards,

Atanu

EkanshCapgemini
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No atanu, we just did the first part i.e. calling asynchronously.

former_member184739
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Atanu,

But one point to consider is that the application needs to be  online, otherwise the notification will be missed. In case of client unavailability you needs to store the notification and somehow send them once the client is active again.

When we use SAP Mobile platform the notification will reach the user irrespective he is online/offline. Please advise. Thanks

Prabaharan

former_member184867
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes based on your use case you may choose to use SMP.

In ABAP channels as well you may achieve so. But all of that has to be done by custom logic. You need to take care of all the cases and scenarios.

former_member184739
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Atanu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

AshwinDutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Prashant,

I see that SAP GW presently supports OData V 2.0, Used for Light Weight Applications and in a Synchronous mode.

Also when you say Large Request, you mean to say Single request with different set of operations ? or Single Request with single operation but handling Huge Amount of data ?

Regards,

Ashwin