Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS/MSS Activate SAPUI5 or WDA on HR Renewal feature 1

former_member185540
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I wonder if you can help. We have upgraded to EHP 6 and we are on release 604 SP82. We have SAP renewal 1 and SAP Netweaver EHP3 for 7.  See the attachment for exact details on our system status.

My Question are:

1. Should we switch on services for SAPUI5 or Webdynpro ABAP? We are already using webdynpro ABAP for ESS/MSS. I mean SAPUI5 is better on the look and feel but I am not clear on any technical requirements that have to be considered before heading the UI5 route.
  2. If we switch SAPUI5 can we go back to WDA at a later stage if we see that we have a lot of issues during testing? ie can we reverse SAPUI5 to WDA
  3. If we decide to go down the WDA route, what functions in the portal do we need? I know which ones to activate in the backend but not sure on portal side.

Your input will be greatly appreciated indeed.

Regards,

Andy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185540
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the info below. This has given me a clear overview howver I still have these questions which I have not been able to get from the  various links.

• With HR renewal 1 and EHP 6 release 604 SP82 and SAP Netweaver EHP3 for 7 can we simply switch the WDA options inorder to carry on using what we have? If so what will the landing pages be based on? Will it be automatically SAPUI5 or Launchpad as we are? My idea is to switch on the WDA related switches and all dependencies, this will ensure minimal if no work at all as we are already on WDA. We will do down the route of SAPUI5 once the basis guys have setup the gateway which will take time .

• Here my assumption is that conversion from WDA to SAP UI from the application side will be straight forward ie  no changes in lpd_cust. Launch pad and iVews etc.

After going through the various links and talking to guys here it is clear we will go down the route of WDA for now but the question is what is involved? What should be done as we are already on WDA: If anyone has answers or can point me to a blog that would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Andy

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

what will be your Target EA HR version would be? can you confirm EHP6 doesnt have HR renewal, You need to install add on, ie on EHP6 to get HR Renewal. Hr renewal 1.0 doesnt have ESS/MSS on SAPUI5 only HR professional Landing page, HR renewal FP4 has it ie EA HR 607 SP 14 http://help.sap.com/erp_hcm_ias_2013_02/helpdata/en/d4/cd725198e02066e10000000a441470/frameset.htm Read the link as i shared earlier for clarity

former_member185540
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Siddrath,

Thank you for your reply, the attached images show the exact version we are on:

EA-HR6070033SAPK-60733INEAHRSAP Enterprise Extension HR

EHP6 FOR SAP ERP 6.0EHP6 FOR SAP ERP 6.0sap.comEHP6 FOR SAP ERP 6.0
SAP NETWEAVERSAP EHP3 FOR  7.0sap.comSAP EHP3 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.0
SAP HCM RENOVATION1.0sap.comHR RENEWAL 1.0

I am not sure where to look for the exact feature pack but teh HR renewal add on has been installed.

My question is, can I switch on HCM_ESS_WDA_2, HCM_ESS_WDA_3 and HCM_MSS_WDA_2 and use the same landing page ie WDA with launchpad?

I do not no want to use SAPUI5 at this stage. Or does teh switching on of teh above services automatically launch the SAUI5 landing page? I donto want SAPUI5 at this stage at all.

The problem is we have no sandbox to try this, if i had one I want have simply tried it but sadply no sandbox with the correct portal.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

upgrade patch level for portal 7.4

former_member185540
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jwala,

Thanks for quick reply but my question can I switch on HCM_ESS_WDA_2, HCM_ESS_WDA_3 and HCM_MSS_WDA_2 and use the same landing page ie WDA with launchpad? I dont want SAPUI5?

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To your question, yes you can activate the WD switch and still not use ESS SAPUI5, also, SAPUI5 landing pages you need to activate HCM_ESS_UI5_1 or HCM_ESS_UI5_1 http://help.sap.com/erp_hcm_ias_2013_02/helpdata/en/d4/cd725198e02066e10000000a441470/frameset.htm http://help.sap.com/erp_hcm_ias_2013_02/helpdata/en/d8/cb80a7bf06444ba9b2884c543dd5ac/frameset.htm As all these are driven by roles, what roles you asign your employee although you have activated the switches, you ll get WDA screens. I would recommend to read above help links and blogs to know functionality of each switch let us know if you have further queries

former_member185540
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Siddharth,

Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated indeed. I have read the above links and and they are all for SAPUI5. At this stage I dont want to activate SAPUI5.  I would like to carry on using WDA.

I was just afraid that if I switch on HCM_ESS_WDA_2, HCM_ESS_WDA_3 and HCM_MSS_WDA_2 i will be forced to use UI5. But based on your answer it is clear that I can switch on and continue with WDA. This is what I wanted as it will mean no extra work. I dont want us to do any extra work.  CAn you confirm this please?

Why I am avoiding SAPUI5 at this stage?

Simply because withing the organisation teh basis colleagues cannot agree on sap net-weaver gateway, therefore we cannot wait for them as they are taking too long to agree when and if they will install and set it up.

I believe we will still be able to use new functionality based on WDA and HR renewal.

Finally how do i know which feature pack we are on?

Thank you,

Andy

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes you won't be forced to sapui5 as I Indicatef All the switches you listed is for WDA only !! Also you are on hr renewal 1.0 fp4  Please read my blog as I have explained clearly there Also you can see the switches in sfw5

former_member185540
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your support and help. Things are much clear now, I i will stick with WDA . I have read a lot of your blogs and they have indeed helped me. I will keep reading.

I will leave the discussion open just incase i have another questions after switching on the business functions. I will award points accordingly.

Many thanks also , your initial input was very helpful.

ImranSajid
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

There is no correct answer here because each organization is unique. It will be additional work if you go down the SAPUI5 route, but that is certainly the more ideal choice. There will be additional basis work due to the fact that you have to have Netweaver Gateway, there will be services that need to be activated and so forth for the SAPUI5 applications.

You could always activate the business functionality for the UI5 applications and not use them, but not sure why you would want to do that.

Also as far as reversing the changes, SAP did make the business functions for UI5 reversible which is something relatively new that they have been doing since in the past they could not be deactivated once active.

You could also still use the WDA applications later if that is what you want to do. If you already have existing customization's in the WDA version of the application via some of the standard BADIs then I do believe they should still work (Salary Statement application for example) in the SAPUI5 version without additional work being required.

Take a look at the Admin Guide for HR Renewal to get a better feel for the technical requirements and talk to your basis team.

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000888382013E

Ideally, you should be going toward the SAPUI5 direction as it is the better long term option and one that SAP is recommending and creating their new applications in. The SAPUI5 applications work correctly with tablets and phones as opposed to ABAP WDA which do not. A big implementation factor is how much customization your organization requires and if the applications as delivered by SAP will suffice. You will likely have a larger learning curve customizing the HR Renewal SAPUI5 applications than you would the ABAP WD applications.

These are all things to consider, but the people on SCN can only provide guidance and we do not know enough about your organization to make this type of decision for you.

Thanks,

Imran

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

read the options here http://scn.sap.com/community/erp/hcm/employee-self-service/blog/2014/04/18/hcm-ehp5-ehp6-and-hr-rene... 3.If we decide to go down the WDA route, what functions in the portal do we need? I know which ones to activate in the backend but not sure on portal side ANs : You dont need anything from portal side to activate, Also whats your EA HR version thats the critical one also. read above in links you ll see