cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWPM Kernel vs System kernel

0 Kudos

Hi Saptechies, What is the purpose of SWPM kernel , which is used during system installation or system upgrade. Is this similar to SAP kernel that we use in SAP system ? Kindly explain the use of this swpm kernel.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jan_kresser
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Shankar,

I might shed some light on this:

Maybe the naming "SWPM Kernel" is a little bit confusing. Actually, it is a DVD containing the  Netweaver Kernel, released along with SWPM (on a regular base). Consider the DVD as a collection of different components a Kernel consists of.

The reason we do this rather simple:

The Kernel DVD released with a Product (e.g. Netweaver, Suite) is not updated very frequently. Only the different components (e.g. SAPEXE.SAR) are, and are available as separate packages on Service Marketplace.

Since you need a DVD for Installation (and System Copy), we provide new DVDs containing the latest Kernel components every 3-6 months along with SWPM to enable usage of new Kernel features during Installation.

We might skip the release of a Kernel DVD along with SWPM only if there is another one provided which is quite new: e.g. when NW 7.4 releases a Kernel 742, we won't release a 74x Kernel DVD along with SWPM since it would not contain newer versions of the separate components.

Hope this helps?

Kind regards,

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shankar,

Please do not confuse between SAP Kernel and SWPM Kernel.

You can start your installation through SWPM files. 70SWPM (for NW 7.4 , EHP7 or HANA) or SWPM - (NW 7.3, EHP6  ).

You should use right kernel for the installation like for NW 7.4 Installation we can use 7.41 Unicode kernel media.

Regards

Pranay Agarwal

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jan,

Would it not be better to program the SWPM to use the Kernel DVD supplied with remaining media list ?

I got into trouble once because of this.

The MID.XML that is supplied with all Media DVDs expect a certain Kernel LABEL and the SWPM wouldn't go ahead even when I supplied the newest kernel available for that component.

Regards,

Siddhesh

jan_kresser
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Siddhesh,

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly - SWPM should accept all "supported" DVDs for installation - the one which is part of the Product-Shipment (usually older) as well as the one released with SWPM?

MID.XML and LABEL.ASC are mostly independent from each other - they are serving a similar purpose, though, which is identifying DVDs...

Could you explain what did not work and what did cause problems?

Kind regards,

Jan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shankar,

The purpose for SWPM kernel is to test running temporary application during system installation or upgrade.

Is this similar to SAP kernel that we use in SAP system? --> Yes, but it's bundled

Hope this help you to understand.

Regards,

Dhanar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shankar,

Please do not confuse between SAP Kernel and SWPM Kernel.

You can start your installation through SWPM files. 70SWPM (for NW 7.4 , EHP7 or HANA) or SWPM - (NW 7.3, EHP6  ).

You should use right kernel for the installation like for NW 7.4 Installation we can use 7.41 Unicode kernel media.

Regards

Pranay Agarwal