cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open NC Activity Hook

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to use the Open NC Activity Hook, which checks a SFC for open NCs before completing a SFC at an Operation. This will stop an Operator from being able to complete an Operation with opens NCs. Our issue in our routers is that we sometimes have to move back on the router after we have logged an NC at a future Operation. I will provide an example router below to describe the issue:

A-KIT

A-ASSEMBLY

A-PRETEST1

A-PRETEST2

A-PRETEST3 (OPEN NC HOOK HERE)

A-PREINSPECT

A-POSTEST1

A-POSTEST2

A-FINALINSPECT

A-COMPLETE

Suppose there is a test failure at A-POSTEST1 (sealed unit) an Operator must write a NC and keep the NC open until the fault is corrected. At this point unit must be unsealed and start back at the A-PRETEST1 Operation and continue back on the main router as usual. When the SFC gets to A-PRETEST3 Operation the Operator will not be able to complete the Operation due to the open NC @ the future Operation A-POSTEST1 (needs to stay open unitl it reaches that operation). Is there a way to stop a SFC with open NCs that only apply to past and present Operations, not future Operations. We are aware that we can create rework routers but we have had issues in the past with too many rework routers for test failures and most of the time they create issues of moving to the right location. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Kristin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kristin

The hook is not configurable - it just looks for open NCs and prevents the SFC from starting or completing, depending on where it's hooked.

You could consider either a customer hook, or use routing scripts. Routing Scripts only execute on completion,and only if there is more than one exit path. If there is just one path to the next step, you can create a dummy path to get around that. The routing script could check for open NCs only from the current step, and either prevent completion or route it to another step (including itself).

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stuart,

I'm not aware of what a customer hook is, could you explain that to me? Also I understand what you are saying about the Routing Scripts. The question I have is how do I create one, I am fairly new the system and I am not sure I have access to it or just don't know where it is.

Thanks,

Kristin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Kristin, I meant "custom" hook - i.e. one which has been custom coded via SDK.

You can find some description of routing scripts in the help such as here for version 6.1, but this only scratches the surface of what you can do via scripting.

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stuart,

Where do I download the SDK for Visiprise Manufacturing? It is possible for this version?

Kristin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kristin

Sorry, there's no SDK for such an old version. There are third parties that may still be able to create such a custom hook.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eclipse SDK? That seems to be the only thing I can associate that we might use.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eclipse is just a development tool, not the SDK for the application. There is no SDK for Visiprise.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Router scripts are probably the best solution IMHO..but you could try the following:

1) Setup a new primay NC code called "PROCEED".  Set this NC to "Closure required" = false, "Auto Close primary" = true, "Can be primary" = true.

2) Assign disposition router "RETURN_NEXT" to NC code "PROCEED"

3) Make "PROCEED" available to log at operation A-PRETEST3 using NC group maintenance.  This is required if using NC groups.

4) When an SFC with a previously open NC arrives at A-PRETEST3, instruct operator to log "PROCEED" to move the SFC to the next step in the routing.

Pros: All rework is managed on a single router. (low maintenance)

Cons: Requires operator interaction and has room for mistake if operator proceeds down the route when part should actually be held in A-PRETEST3.

Notes: The SFC will not show a COMPLETE action in the Activty log for A-PRETEST3 when operator logs "PROCEED" and moves the SFC to the next operation.

For more flexibility assign "RETURN_ANY" disposition route to "PROCEED"

Joey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Instead of sending the product back several operations on the production router, how about dis-positioning the non conformance onto a NC Router that has duplicates of the operations you need to bring the product back into compliance (renamed eg Rework-A-Pretest1) without the activity hook - , this method means you don't need a custom activity hook or router scripts ? Your NC Router could be:

REWORK-A-PRETEST1

REWORK-A-PRETEST2

REWORK-A-PRETEST3 (Without Activity Hook)

REWORK-A-PREINSPECT

REWORK-A-POSTEST1

Return To Original

My advice is to try and find a process change before you consider a customization.

Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kevin,

We have tried that in the past and we have had issues with that because we have had to make a multitude of rework routers.

Kristin