cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

&SEARCH& functionality in Profile Generator (PFCG) is not working for windows file directories. I was able to to add one of the directories as a Search option using the 'menu' function in profile generator (PFCG), but

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've logged a message with SAP as the &SEARCH& functionality in Profile Generator (PFCG) is not working for windows file directories.

I was able to to add one of the directories as a Search option using the 'menu' function in profile generator (PFCG), but all it does is open the directory (no Search is performed).

Has anyone had success in searching windows file directories from NMBC?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

More information regarding my search question:

In NWBC Version 4.0 we are setting a URL link that points to a file share on our intranet. Currently there is no File Search Functionality that can be performed within the tab/window that opens in NWBC.

Actions Taken:

We attempted to setup a search provider configuration by updating the role in PFCG with a URL to the existing links.

However, when we went to use the search provider the only thing that happened is our file share tab opened up again in another window with no search results (just the same screen as the original).

The search provider process seems to work if we are using a path other than one to a file share such as to a web link.

Question:

Is there a reason we cannot get the Search Provider to work with a file share or is there another process available to search for files within our file share.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone out there have any ideas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vickie,

I assume the URL you are using with the search parameter works if you call in in IE directly? Have you tried to run a proxy to see if the URL is being sent correctly? Have you switched on the NWBC tracing and looked at the verbose log files for any clues?

Hth,

Simon

Damean
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vickie

In a line, using the existing "standard" SAP deliver functionality, I don't think there's currently a feasible solution. Your probably have to shelf up extra for it to function.  This is my line of thought, would sure hope somebody would prove me wrong ... read only if interested.

Based on my understanding, NWBC relies on 3 main mechanics for Search. 

1) Using Windows Search service (WSS) -  Meant for searching local User desktop

You could sure expand your WSS to index Network drive. But the indexing is kept in each and everyone of your local user desktop. Bad choice of design ...

2) Using SAP's OpenSearch (Supports engine like Google, Bing etc) - Meant for public content in the Web

-Your content is probably confidential so public engine like Google is probably not an option. Of course, if you acquired your own Search Appliance (e.g. Google Search Appliance), then this limitation does NOT exist. This type of appliance could search both Intranet, Internet, Network drives etc. So customizing it for a link to search through your network drive will not be an issue.

3) TREX - SAP Proprietary Search Appliance

-Was told that this is possible; but have NOT seen it in person : (