cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does MM_EKKO archive write job lock the tables?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Archive experts,

We run MM_EKKO archiving twice a week. From my understanding the write job just read the data and write it to archive files. But we run Replenishment jobs which hit EKPO tables, the jobs run slow, and I noticed that the archive write job is holding the locks on this table. As soon as I cancelled the write job, the replenishment jobs move faster. why this happens? Archive write jobs should not be causing any performance issues, only the delete jobs will impact the performance. Am I correct? Is any one experiencing similar issues?

Sam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

Interesting question! Your understanding is correct, write job just reads the data from tables and writes it into archive files... but....write job of MM_EKKO (and MM_EBAN) is a bit different. The MM_EKKO write job also takes care of setting the deletion indicator (depending on whether its a one step or two step archiving. So its possible that it puts a lock during the process of setting the deletion indicator, as its a change to database.

please have a look at the folloing link for the explanation of one step and two step archiving:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/9b/c0963457889b37e10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

Hope this explains the reason for the performance problem you are facing.

Regards,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveen,

Thanks for quick reply. That makes sense. But how do I know whether the one we scheduled is doing one step or two step process. I know we schedule deletion jobs after a day after we complete write job. The link you sent is not clear to understand what is a one step and two step process. Could you explain please.

Thanks,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

You can decide whether its an one step or two step archiving during the creating of the variant for the archiving run. There is a check box which denotes it.

To put it simple, one step process does the setting of deletion indicator and archiving in one run of the archiving job. Two step process sets the deletion indicator in one run of the job and archives in the next run. Immaterial of one step or two step, it shud lock during the process of setting the deletion indicator.

Please reward deserving points if you find the reply helpful ;-).

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Thanks a lot for the explanation. That answered my question. I rewarded full points to you :). Looks like I cannot avoid the lock situtation. So I have schedule these jobs in different times, not to conflict with other jobs.

I checked the variants for our jobs. They are defined as one step process.

Cheers,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sam!

Yes, better if you schedule your jobs in different times

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen, How are you?

Some question on MM_EKKO:

1. after the preprocessing, the PO will have a deletion flag. How can we differentiate those PO being mark for deletion by user or preprocessing program?

2. what is the recommended frequency for MM_EKKO archiving?

Thanks,

Jess

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jess,

1. When you open PO in change mode and try to change then system will give a message as PO is marked for deletion.

2. Frequency of archiving MM_EKKO depends upon the size of PO's occupied in the database, legal requirement, number of variant to be schedule and so on. With my client it is once in 6 months we archive.

Reward if it benifits.

-Thanks,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our residence-1 is 730 days and residence-2 is 7 days.

We did not run the pre-processing step.

We've run the write step and marked thousands of PO's for archiving.

Unfortunately, users had errorneously marked recently created PO's for deletion and these are now marked as archived - we get the message that the PO has been archived even thouh the deletion step has NOT been run. Once the deletion step is run it disappears from the tables. It did NOT matter whether we run it as 1-step or 2-step process. In the case of manually marked for deletion it appears to check only the residence-2 which is 7 days for us.

We've identified these PO's and un-marked them and they're 'live' again.

However, when I run the deletion step, after the deletion flag is reset, it continues to archive/delete it the po's. The deletion program does NOT re-check the deletion flag status.

What is the solution without having to run the write step again?

Any help would appreciated.

Thanks.

Soyab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Soyab,

As per the rule of SDN you have to post this question as a seperate question.

However to answer your question,

GOTO SARA, Click on Management, select the session no and double click on that and change the screen to change mode and select To be invalid., save it. This session no will be not reflecting in the delete function.

This will help you and please confirm it so that other can also make use of it.

-Thanks,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

I want to avoid invalidating the sessions.

Also, the problem with MM_EKKO is that since we've run the qwrite step the records are now marked for deletion and when we look at the po it says ' po has been archived' and therefore we have to continue with the deletion step.

Thanks.

Soyab

Answers (0)