cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom sort on Dimension

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a need for custom sorting in Design Studio.

Currently we can do - DS1.sortByMember("Dimension", false); (Ascending or Descending).

Is there a way to do custom sorting? or does anyone have any workaround? I only have 3 values in Dimension that I need to do custom sorting.

Thanks,

Rajan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajan,

Can you provide a little more context about how you want to present this data in the Design Studio application?  Usually it's easier to define a custom sort key in the backend and then use the standard sort functionality in Design Studio.  What is your backend system?

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

I am using HANA Calc View (Graphical) as my backend. For example I have opportunity stage names like Lost, No Decision, Won and by standard Ascending or Descending default you can do Lost, No Decision, Won or Won, No Decision, Lost.

In my case I need following order - Won, Lost, No Decision.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rajan

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rajan,

it is not something you can do in Design Studio. You would have to solve that issue in the backend already.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajan,

Thanks for the clarification.  In this case, as I mentioned earlier, I think it's best to apply the sorting in the backend.  If you are using a HANA Calculation View I would suggest adding a Calculated Attribute for sorting as follows:

1) Create a Calculated Attribute called oppSortKey (for example) of type integer

2) Define a formula for this Calculated Attribute using an if then statement that simply checks the value of the Opportunity Stage attribute and assigns a value of 1, 2, or 3 corresponding to "Won", "Lost", or "No Decision"

3) Sort in ascending order by this new oppSortKey calculated attribute.

You can refer to the following document for more information about creating a calculated attribute: How to Use Calculated Attribute

Hope that helps,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ingo,

Thanks for your input.

I will try to push this to HANA view.

Rajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mustafa,

Thanks for the followup and idea to implement this in HANA. I will try it out.

Rajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

I have similar issue with Design Studio v1.5. I have SQL server and BusinessObjects IDT 4.1.

My calendar (yyyy-mm) is sorted desc in the LOVs I have created in IDT.

Even in the query specs editor in Design Studio, I see calendar month year LOV for query prompt sorted descending (as expected).

But when I run dashboard, the initial prompt of Design Studio, month year is sorted ascending

Though the List of Value used for this prompt is sorted desc in IDT.

Please suggest a way to fix this!!

Many thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Rashmi

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

If you are referring to the standard variable prompt dialogue, I suspect that it is sorting the value help in ascending order by default.  This might be by design or a bug.  You could try opening a Support Ticket to confirm.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much! I will do that.

Best Regards,
Rashmi

Answers (0)