cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Parcel Tracking in EM is different than Shipment Tracking?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello EM gurus

May I know how parcel tracking is different in SAP EM? Is there any separate visibility process for this? What could be the possible events in this business scenario?

Appreciate your quick answer.

Best Regards

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I don't think we have separate business process visibility for Parcel Tracking in SAP EM.  You can use PTA functionality to achieve for parcel tracking scenario.

Scenarios will be different for local and international parcel tracking as International combines domestic and international multiple legs in one shipment.

I can give you a generic to have a better idea.

1. Parcel created

2. Parcel booked and confirmed

3. Assigned to relevant depot X

4. Ready for picking

5. Parcel picked by carrier

6. Intransit

6. Carrier delivered to delivery depot Y

7. Parcel received and processed

8. Parcel picked and dispatch to address

9. Delivered to customer.

Regards

GGOPII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopi

Thanks for the quick response. I have few more questions related to this.

1. Is PTA scenario possible without RFID? Say is it possible to use Bar code instead of RFID in PTA to track parcels?

2. Are the events you mentioned part of any pre-configured scenario delivered by SAP ERP/EM?

Please answer these to get full understanding of what solution to be proposed to my client.

Regards

Ravi

kevin_wilson2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Having done this a few times I can shed some light on this for you

The closest to Parcel tracking that standard EM and ECC provides is the Handling Unit tracking as part of the delivery visibility scenario (both inbound and outbound) - see the OBP* scenarios.

A couple of points on this one:

1) For outbound it only tracks the parcel to the door - PGI

2) For inbound it only starts at unloading

So there is no real tracking solution provided outside the 4 walls of your own organization. That's not really a problem though - Integrate with the carriers to get their 214s and 315s and create a "Parcel" EH to capture their status. Tie these in with ASNs and you can have the end-to-end visibility you are looking for. It works well, in fact we go live with our 3rd such implementation on Sunday

As for the PTA scenario, it is not meant for this scenario at all. It is really solidly integrated in to the AII / OER solutions for serialization traceability whether that be through barcodes or RFID tags, it does not matter. You can barcode SSCC numbers on your handling unit and assign a FedEx tracking number to it - This would send the HU detail to EM under the scenario I mentioned above (pretty standard EM) - Then when the carrier picks up the package they will send you a status notification via a 214 to let you know - Map this to the "Parcel" EH and the HU EH will point to it as it will have the FedEx tracking number assigned to it. Make sense?

Cheers

Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kevin and Gopi.

Your suggestions will really help me.

Regards

Ravi

Answers (0)