cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personas non-Unicode

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We are just exploring the opportunities and requirements for Personas.  I would appreciate input in two areas.  Thanks in advance.

Mary Ann Koskinen

1. We are non-Unicode.  Personas is not officially supported for non-Unicode.  However, the software runs in our environment. What possible issues could exist in non-Unicode, other than the incorrect transmission of a character?  We use only English in our facilites globally, so I am not sure why this could be an issue.  Is anyone running Personas in non-Unicode and have you experienced any issues?

2. Is it sensible and preferred to run Personas from its own server.  This came up from our Basis team.  We have multiple servers for each environment.  Would Personas implementations need to follow the same path as other implementations(dev, QA, production)?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

please also consider SAP note 2032343 regarding general Non-Unicode support. With this one it is clear that the next ERP 6.0 EhP package will be Unicode-only.

Therefore I would highly recommend to think about a Unicode conversion (at least for the long run).

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have had Personas with a non-Unicode System. Our experience was that flavours can not be started after relogin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tobias,

Thank you for your response.  Could you elaborate further.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

we have a non-Unicode System. There we have implemented Personas. We started and created a new flavor. Then we saved the flavor. Then did a Log-out and afterwards we wanted to open the new flavor again. But it failed. So we can create a new flavor but we can not use it.

After Unicode implementation we could reuse the flavors.

Regards Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't have first-hand experience of question 1 - my systems are Unicode systems. However I have spoken to others running Personas in non-Unicode systems with no technical issues, so it appears to work at least in some circumstances. You'd need to try it in your system to be sure it works for you. Whether or not you are prepared to run without official support is a separate question.

As for question 2, Persons v2, the currently available version, does run in this mode, with a central "hub" installation of Personas giving access to a number of other "satellite" systems that don't need the Personas add-on to be installed. All systems, hi and satellites, do need the Personas compatible kernel, though. However, Personas v3 does not support this mode of operation - the add-on needs to be installed in every system. This will make a v2 -> v3 upgrade more complicated, should you opt for a hub installation of v2.

Steve.