cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

identifying association with Barker notation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I work with a french version of PAMC 15.3 and I don't find the way to define an identifying association with Barker notation.

See the Oracle exemple between Employees and Job_history for giving to Job_history the emp_id attribute.

Here my PAMC model without the dept entity.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can make the role "Job History vers Employees" dependent, so the 1:1 end of the relationship also becomes identifying (Job History becomes dependent on Employees). This is what your Oracle Designer sample shows, except that Oracle Designer chooses to show this with a line at the many end of the symbol. PD doesn't add anything to the relationship symbol for identifying (dependent) relationship symbols in Barker notation.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Chris. Following on from Benoit's idea, you could create a simple extension to change one end of the symbol if it's dependent.

This has nested criteria, so it doesn't matter if the relationship is one-to-many, many-to-one, or one-to-one.

Here's the first criterion:

The custom symbol for this criterion is

Now create a Criterion inside this:

with this custom symbol:

Now add a similar pair of criteria for these conditions:

%DependentRole%=="B"

%Entity1ToEntity2RoleMaximumCardinality%=="1"

Create a custom symbol for each of these, changing the right-hand end of the symbol, as we did for the left-hand end above.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is a workaround to help you during the presentation of your model, It's not a solution. I strongly suggest you to make an enhancement request to SAP.

A) Click on your relation and select the right side of the mouse

B) Click on Format

C) Choose Begin or End depending if the symbol MANY is at the beginning or the end of the relationship and choose the dependent symbol.

You can see the Barker model relationship is correct!

Warning :

A) Do not forget to put a comment in Notes=>Annotation to remind you about the modification you do about this symbol.

B) Because you have set this symbol if you modify the cardinality later. The symbol will not change. You will have to reset to default "Notation"

Bye