cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please understand that I am very new at this so if this question causes a laugh then I do not mind - as long as I get the clarification of where I am going wrong smile.

I need to install solution manager on V5R4. According to the latest on SAP that is version 4.0. However what is available is DB2/400 ASCII.

I want to do a UNICODE installation and as far as I know ASCII is non unicode - is this correct? I also want to be on Netweaver 2005 and not 04 or 04s.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Thank-you for the information - I do appreciate it.

We unfortunately have no System i consultants here so we are self taught on the whole - we are going for Netweaver training next month (in house - as SAP academy here does not have the required training) but my installation cannot wait until then - I appreciate the explanations - and the training is only for Netweave - no System i training available. They could not even find a manual for us to get trained on when they tried!!

So next question from dummy - what is the difference between NW04 and 04s?

Anette

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anette,

IBM offers a 4-day training course called "SAP Solutions on System i (Implementation & Operation)".

The redbooks linked from has a lot of valuable information. help.sap.com is another good resource.

Basically NW04 is based on NetWeaver/Basis 6.40, and NW 2004s is based on NetWeaver/Basis 7.0.

Best regards,

Victor

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank-you very much to everyone for all the answers and advice - I am one step closer (not sure to what smile).

Unfortunately IBM training here is even more laughable than SAP training!

Yep it is a brilliant red book - have found lots of useful info in it - wish there were more like this one, but I am sure it will come in the future.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anette,

I got to a redbook from an IBM website, which is an excellent resource..

here is the link to it..

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247166.html?Open

once there, click on the Download PDF

Pay particular attention to the section:

Encoding data used in SAP systems, which kind of explain the various aspects of it.

Hope that somewhat helps...

Thanks

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anette,

I hope the followings would help:

-Like Victor said, IBM has a 4 days training on SAP on iSeries. I took it this Febr. (in the U.S, so I don't know if they offer it in Europe, because there was a student came all the way from Denmark). The material is just a bit out dated, mainly on 6.20/6.40 and not on the 7.0, but the material provides enough info for starter.

- I just finished installing Sol Manager 4.0 on V5R3, and had a post in the forum.

You might search on it for reference. The folks in the forum are great help.

What I had learned was

1. make sure prepare your AS400 per IBM apar for SAP, have all require cum, data, hyper...in place.

2. Next is, for my situation because I am installing with Sol Magr SR1, so I need to patch ISERPACK8, nw04scontrolsr1, which you might not need if you are installing with Sol Mgr Sr2.

3. DO NOT edit/change master password at sumary page. We changed at parameter summary page and this caused problem.

4. if you got stuck with Java phases, install latest SAPJ2EE and DW patch.

5. oh yah, per recommandation, make sure to get the latest IBM JDBC driver from IBM website, I think it's JTOpen level 5.3

Other than that, the installation went very smooth.

I hope the info helps.

Good luck.

Elizabeth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anette,

sorry, but this really shows your experience in the SAP naming world ...

You should look for a consultant, that trains you up in order to be not holt because of questions like these.

ASCII & Unicde are different: But, you have to organize the ASCII kit, which contains unicode, which is even the default.

NW 2004, 2004s, 2005 ...

There is no NW2005 ))

=> you want to install SolMan 4.0 which is ONLY delivered with 2004s => go with this )

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut.gmbh

http://www.consolut.de - http://www.4soi.de - http://www.easymarketplace.de