cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple resources on an operation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Is it possible to use more than one resource on an operation? If yes, could you please guide us how to set that up. We have a requirement where operator needs to make sure that multiple equipment (2-3 per operation) are available before an operator can start the operation.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stuart,

If the fixtures are defined as tools then is there a way in the system to stop operator from Starting the SFC if tool status is set unavailable for some reason. We looked at the LOG_TOOL_HOOK option but that requires the operator to log the tool every time it is used but we want to use TOOL status for exceptional cases only i.e. when it is not available.

Also, looks like we cannot directly assign the tool to an operation so we would need to create a separate Tool Group for each fixture?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then use timebased tools: set up the tool(s) on the resource via resource setup. Have a PRE_START hook on the operation that converts timebased to discrete (TB_TOOL_TO_DISCRETE) If the tool is not available for use (e.g unscheduled down) , the SFC will not start.

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stuart.

Thanks for the response. We will try this option. Is there any 'Best Practice Document' or 'How to Guide' for resource set-up or use of Resources/Tools in SAP ME.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Currently, there is no How to Guide or formal best practice guide for this.

sergiy_katerinich
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

It is not clear what "available" means in this context.

Of cause, you can assign several resources to a resource type and then assign this resource type to an operation. Then your operator will always see those resources for this operation in POD.

But if "availablility" means "ready to use" or "loaded" or whatever else, this is a case for a separate consideration.

I have one more question. OK, the operator has just checked that somehow several resources are "available". Will he start processing at both resources simultaneous? Or will he start and complete an SFC at the one resource and after that - at another resource? If the latter case, does he need to reserve the second resource to ensure it is still "available"?

Regards,

Sergiy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergiy,

Thanks for the quick response.

In our scenario, based on product being manufactured, we needs to make sure that specific fixtures (in some cases 2-3) are available before operator can start the SFC. In ECC, we have defined these fixtures as PRT's and operator checks the PRT status before starting the order. In SAP ME, we were thinking of using defining those fixtures as resources because system will not allow to start the order if resource is in Scheduled or Unscheduled Down status. We do not have any time tracking requirements for resource but operator just needs to know when resource is not available due maintenance or some other reason.

Since a product may need more than one fixture and all of them are needed together so operator needs to make sure if any one of those is not available then SFC should not be started.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

In that case, the fixtures should be modelled as Tools in SAP ME. An SFC can only be in work at a single resource for a single operation, but you can have 0..n tools required and the status of these can be modified via the ERP Integration.

Stuart