cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install SolMan Diagnostic Agent on distributed HANA nodes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I need to install diagnostic agents on our HANA nodes. One physical appliance has 5 blades, and with each blade acting as a separate node.

NodeAppliance
1dev master
2dev slave1 / sandbox slave 2
3dev slave 2 / sandbox failover
4sandbox master
5sandbox slave 1 / dev failover

As per SAP Note 1365123, only 1 diagnostics agent is needed per host. But in our case, some of the nodes are being shared with other systems (example: node 2 is used as slave for dev and at the same time, as a slave for sandbox). In this line, how can we install the diagnostic agent on nodes like this to monitor both systems?

Also, our approach is to create a separate filesystem for the diagnostic agent and a different SID for each environment. For example, the diagnostic agent will be called DAS for sandbox, DAD for development, DAQ for quality, DAP for production. So if we follow this, then the design will be:

Nodes 1, 2, 3, 5 will share /usr/sap/DAD

Nodes 2, 3, 4, 5 will share /usr/sap/DAS

NodeApplianceFilesystem for Diag.Agent
1dev master1.     /usr/sap/DAD
2dev slave1 / sandbox slave 21.     /usr/sap/DAD
2.     /usr/sap/DAS
3dev slave 2 / sandbox failover1.     /usr/sap/DAD
2.     /usr/sap/DAS
4sandbox master1.     /usr/sap/DAS
5sandbox slave 1 / dev failover1.     /usr/sap/DAD
2.     /usr/sap/DAS

Can anyone comment on this if this is possible?

Thanks!

Regards,

ANG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

francois_keen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ANG

Technically you can have only one agent per host and this would work to help you enable diagnostics for the multiple HANA systems running on the same host.

In my case, I only use different diagnostics agent SIDs  when i have multiple solman systems. Example : DAD will report to my solman diags dev system and DAP will report to my solman prod system.

But technically yes you can have multiple agents running on the same host as long as you use different Diags agent SIDs/System Numbers,

If you have only one solman system, just keep it simple and use only one diagnostics agent per host especially if you're looking at using replication. In my case I do not even bother with diagnostics agents on the fly, if we switchover our prod to the test appliance (which normally runs our secondary in shadow mode), well, diagnostics wont work since the agents were configured to diagnose test. Not having diagnostics for the secondary, as far as I'm concerned, is not the end of the world considering you're running in disaster mode as you got other more important worries such as getting the primary back online...

I only have a few months of HANA experience, so I hope my answer helps. Hope the other members of SCN will add their opinion on this thread.

Best regards

Francois

Answers (0)