Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Database instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

i just clarified my doubt in central instance !!1

Can any one tell what is database instance ?

Regards

sanjeev

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay now,

When you install SAP, It prompts you to provide a System Id which is called SID, that is recognized by the system, Since for any SAP installation you must have a Database, It requires you to provide an identification for the Data base also. For Eg: If you are installing Nw04s with MAXDB as a database, you would give the SID as J2E and Data base ID also as J2E so that there is no confusion...

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you knew SAP instance is called SID, as the same Database ID will be DBID.

You can use same SID for Database and SAP or you can have different DB ID and SAP ID, this called Multiple Components in One Database (MCOD). That is depends on the customer requirement.

Cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The database instance is a mandatory instance for the installation of an SAP system. The SAP system usage types AS ABAP and AS Java use their own database schema in the same database.It contains all the database related services.

You have a database now sap instance creates a schema on that database and uses this schema for its operations.

Also visit :http://service.sap.com/instguides

Reward points if useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sanjeev

I will go with Rajat to explain the database instance.

when do you the select to intall the CI (central instance) on single SAP system then there are other instances which will be install along with CI, for eg. SCS , A(SCS) and DI.

REgards

Anwer Wseem

manu_susankar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjeev

As you said "i just clarified my doubt in central instance " This is noting but database istence... i mean db istence is nothing but centrel instent on which message service and enq are hosted.

Regards..

S.Manu.

Former Member

Hello Manu,

I don't agree with you.

Central Instance is NOT always database instance.

Database may NOT always reside on Central instance.

"Instance on which Database resides is a database instance"

Regards,

Ammey Kesarkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Where Database is installed that part of Sap is Database Instance.

Need more help have a look on Help.sap.com

Regards