cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Dimensions in APO DP Planning Object Structures

Former Member
0 Kudos

In APO DP Planning Objct Structures, I know that it's possible to assign Dimensions to characteristics.

The standard help documentation suggests this is 'to improve performance'.

Can anyone give practical guidance about how to assign Dimensions to improve performance?

Thanks,

Bob Austin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

Harish has explained about Dimensions and its usage.

This is how you assign dimensions to the characteristics in the Master Planning Object Structure - Edit MPOS in /SAPAPO/MSDP_ADMIN transaction.

There is an "Add" button at the bottom of the characteristics. Click on that to create the dimensions. The dimensions show up as 1, 2, 3 .... beside the Characteristics (column next to Short Description) as dropdown option. For each characteristic select the appropriate dimension value. After this activate the MPOS. This basically is the process.

I am not sure what essentially is your requirement. You may also look at creating (fixed) aggregates for the aggregate planning level at which mostly users do planning (assuming its not the lowest detail level). Although this will add to the combinations and thereby require more liveCache space it gives better performance when you pull data at the aggregate level in a data view.

Thanks,

Somnath

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

the characterisitcs are grouped logically using the Dimensions

the use of dimensions allows data to be stored in a combination of dimension tables and fact tables

the dimention table consists of the dimension number, a primary key characteristics you assign to the dimension

the primary keys from various dimension tables link up at the fact table and to the values stored in it

so you can think of a star schema of tables with the dimension acting as the link

so when you look for a particular value the dimension table is first quesried based on which the fact table the primary key is linked to is looked up

in order to improve performance, make sure you dont assign too many characterisitics to one dimension

try to logically group the characterisitics - geography for eg can be made of state, region (not material type)

you can also try to match the dimension with the selections you will be using in the planning book,

dimension tables could grow as your characteristic values increase so SAP advices you keep an eye on it (i am not sure of how functionally you can help this but i believe basis will be able to help you with allocating space on an oversized table)

there is a document somewhere in sap marketplace that i am not able to find a link... hopefully someone will link it up here