Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP2 - EHP7 Upgrade Path using SQL Server 2012/Win Server 2012 R2

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys.

I have question regarging Upgrade Roadmap for a ERP 6 EHP2 system based on NW 7.01 which I would like to Upgrade to ERP6 EHP7 SP7

Source System is

Windows 2012

SQL Server 2008 R2

EHP2 for ERP 6.0 SPS Level 14

Target System

Windows 2012

SQL Server 2012

EHP7 for ERP 6.0 SP 7 based on NW 7.4 SP 9

During Upgrade checks it says I must Upgrade Database first before continue since DB Release is too low for NW 7.4 SP9 as stated in Note

1951491 - Minimal DB system platform requirements for SAP NetWeaver 7.4 SP08

So, at this point I agree i have to update SQL Server to 2012 before next step

Now, my concern is that my Source System does not have the minimum NW SP level (14) to run under SQL Server 2012 which is 26.

Im currently running SAP Kernel 721 EXT Level 401 which is above mininum

According to Note 1651862 - Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 that would not be possible

Existing systems of SAP products that are out of SAP maintenance can be upgraded to SQL Server 2012 in order to prepare a SAP upgrade, if they match the SAP NetWeaver Support Package requirements defined below.

SAP products prior to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 are not supported at all on SQL Server 2012.

Required minimum SAP Netweaver Support Package Stacks (SPSs) for SQL Server 2012 (SAP ABAP, SAP ABAP+JAVA stacks)
SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 - SPS 26 (SAP BASIS 26, SAP BW 28)
SAP EHP1 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 - SPS 11 (SAP BASIS 11, SAP BW 11)
SAP EHP2 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 - SPS 11 (SAP BASIS 11, SAP BW 11)

SAP EHP3 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 - SPS 03 (SAP BASIS 03, SAP BW 03)
SAP NETWEAVER 7.1 - SPS 14 (SAP BASIS SP14)
SAP EHP1 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.1 EhP1 - SPS 10(SAP BASIS SP10, SAP BW SP10)
SAP NetWeaver 7.2 - no restriction
SAP NETWEAVER 7.3 - SPS 07 (SAP BASIS 07, SAP BW 07)
SAP EHP1 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.3 - SPS 03 (SAP BASIS 03, SAP BW 03)

If your system is running on a SPS lower than the one required above, you have to apply the minimum required SPS before upgrading/migrating to SQL Server 2012.
If you install a NetWeaver product on SQL Server 2012, the required SPS for your product must be applied immediately after the installation - see SAP note 1676665, section I for more information.

But performing the Upgrade would be technically possible? I mean not for productive use but technicaly during that time the Database is Upgrade and during SUM Execution.

According to the note it states if you install a Netweaver Product in SQL Server 2012, SPS must be applied immediately, so is kinda ambigous what SAP is saying.

Best

Martin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

For a test scenario, there's no harm in trying it (other than spending a lot of time on it, but hopefully that will prove not to be a waste). Generally, I expect you'll be fine upgrading your DBMS even though you aren't on the required minimum SP yet. The main thing you'll be missing out on is the updates to DBACOCKPIT, but once you do your EhP upgrade (with sps update included), you'll be putting that in place.

So, you could try this on your sandbox system and see if there are any problems. I assume the intent is to start the EhP upgrade as soon as the DBMS upgrade is done, right? In other words, you won't be actually using the system without the required SP except to run the EhP upgrade?

Alternatively, you could do a minimal support pack update, perhaps just a Basis SP only, to the minimum SP needed for your current release, then do the DBMS upgrade, then proceed with the EhP upgrade. This would be the safest procedure, but, as I said, I expect you can probably get away without going to this level without much problem. Again, the idea would be minimizing the time between the start and end of the total project on each system (DEV, QAS, PRD, etc).

Regards,

Matt

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt, thanks for your comments

As you mentioned, the intent was to start the upgrade just after upgrading DBMS, and using the system without minimum SP Levels

At the moment I was able to perform the DBMS Upgrade, but I was unable to run Database Tools after DB Upgrade since SWPM stated Im not at SP Level 26

Anyways, SAP was able to start and Upgrade is currently running, so lets see how its works out

0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

Were you able to successfully complete upgrade using your methodology?

I have the same dilemma as you, we are currently on MS SQL 2008 R2 on NW 7.02 SP7. We intend to upgrade to NW 7.40 SP10 with MS SQL 2012 as the desire database. A direct upgrade is not possible as per SAP Notes, our plan was to upgrade to MS SQL 2012 without applying minimum SP required on source NW 7.02 and then immediately make the system upgrade. Did you run the Database Tools post ERP upgrade?

Thanks

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would NOT recommend upgrading to NW 7.4 SP10 with MSSQL 2012 if your source System does not meet the minimum SP for supporting SQLServer 2012.

Basically during Pre-processing Upgrade will fail due missing Store Procedure which come with SQL 2012, and its only possible to continue doing some manual corrections that I would not advice to recreate.

So, Upgrade BASIS SP to minimum required, then Upgrade SQL Server 2012, Upgrade Kernel, Run SWPM Database Upgrade Completion  and you will be fine to start with the NW 7.40 Upgrade

Best

Martin

0 Kudos

Thank you for your response.

We will plan the upgrade to NW 7.40 SPS7 (ERP 6.0 EHP7 SPS5) in that case which still supports MS SQL 2008 database with 7.41 kernel & then after the ERP upgrade make SQL upgrade to MS SQL 2012.

Thanks again.

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Its much easier to update Basis SP using SPAM, and then ugrade SAP to latests NW 7.40 Release.

Best

Martin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are upgrading our ECC EHP7 to latest version, current SAP version is SAP ECC EHP5 SP 9.

To goto the latest version we need to upgrade SQL server into 2012, in order to do sql upgrade we need to be in SAP ECC EHP5 SP 11.

SQL upgrade depends on ECC patch, ECC upgrade depends on SQL upgrade.

Now we have two approaches

1. Upgrade SAP ECC EHP7 SP5 (minimum requirement for SQL 2012) -> SQL upgrade -> patch SAP ECC EHP7 to latest

2. Patch ECC EHP5 SP9 to latest version or SP11 -> SQL upgrade -> Upgrade SAP ECC EHP7 latest version

May I know which approach we can execute in shortest duration?

In either approaches we have two options

Option 1 (a) SAP Upgrade / patch, user test for 1 week, if no issue, proceed with 3.2 (b) Upgrade SQL 2012, user verify for 1 week, if no issue, proceed with 3.3 (c) SAP Patch / upgrade, user test

Option 2 Big Bang approach - SAP Upgrade / patch, Upgrade SQL server 2012 and SAP patch / upgrade SAP followed by user test. Difference between Option 1 and Option 2, Option 1 provides user test between each steps.

May I know which option is recommended by SAP / SAP Best Practice?

thanks

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Suganthi.

Its much better option 1.

Update using SPAU from SP 9 to SP 11, only Basis component is required and it won't affect Application Customizations.  Of course do a mock upgrade and test all programs and main processes and interfaces.

Then Upgrade SQL to 2012 and later run SUM to latest NW740 to latest version.

Best

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin, if I patch only the Basis (all other components are still in SP9) is it supported by SAP

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes,  SAP supports updating a single component, as part of a major upgrade process.

otherwise you can update only technical Basis + BW  + ABAP + PI components. Avoid updating Application components so functional users are not affected by this update

I have done two upgrades following these approaches without any major problems,  just validate for any critical processes, PI interfaces or addons,