cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to behave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very often, when I post a question (Crystal Report), I'll get a fairly immediate response, but then, when I reply, it's as if my response went into the nether.

How should I reply?  To the original post, or to the User who replied to me post?

I don't want to be rude, but I don't know how to tell if the discussion just rolled off of somebody's radar, if they just don't have an answer.

Also, if I post something and nobody has an answer, or even a reply, can't I just close the post?

Right now, I only see options for Correct Answer or Helpful Answer.  Sometimes neither of these are appropriate, and I'd just like to clear the deck.

Thanks,

Matt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The 4th picture from the top in my blog explains how to close a discussion technically in case of no correct answer.

Would be good to provide feedback if you solved it yourself, so that others who find this discussion in future can find an answer too.

We are all volunteers here and have our normal work to do.

So it may happen that I give an answer and you add a reply but I have no time to continue on that question because I have to leave for a meeting, for workshop, or may even have end of work for the day in my time-zone.

I personally review all those questions later - anyway part of my moderation role, but as well just the way I use to work.

I see many questions during the day that start easy, almost trivial and basic but turn into something very difficult and specific after the user came back to add more information. All those people who thought to make easy points roll off now from the thread and wait for the expert to learn themselves something new.

All how participated in the discussion and all who track the space where you posted  will  see your reply in their communications stream.

If you add your reply then you better keep it neutral, this makes it easier for others to step in, if you reply to the user personally then others may not want to disturb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Jürgen, I appreciate your clarification.

I notice that responses to the Dead Zone seem to happen primarily when I reply to the initial response that I receive.  I think I'll stick to replying to the post.  Although I can get a little verbose with my posts, which may lead to misinterpretation, or mis-focus, I always have a pretty clear goal from the start.  If it changes, I'll create a new post, part of my reason for asking about clearing questions that have no resolution.  Response threads that wander too much make searching more difficult.

Thank you for your help.

Answers (0)