cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMP3 - AppDevelopment (Kapsel): SMP server need

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I have a question on SMP3 and AppDevelopment (Kapsel):Do I have to have an SMP server up and running in order to be able to develop my mobile hybrid apps using Kapsel and accessing SAP data? I wonder if I can just make use of Kapsel to utilize my mobile devices' functions (camera, local storage, location, etc.) without connecting to the SMP server.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ibrahim,

Let me share my understanding, Kapsel is set of plugins for Apache Cordova provides SMP capabilities like application Life Cycle Management, Logon Manager, SSO, Push notifications etc.

I wonder if I can just make use of Kapsel to utilize my mobile devices' functions (camera, local storage, location, etc.) without connecting to the SMP server.

I guess in this case you can develop Hybrid app using SAP Web IDE and can leverage Kapsel plugins.

Regards,

JK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

As far as I know, SAP Web IDE is a browser-based toolkit available on SAP HANA Cloud Platform.

I don't know if we'll be able to enforce all our customers to convert their current SAP landscape into the Cloud version.

Assuming that we don't have SAP HANA cloud platform (which is the case for many), is Web IDE still a viable solution for UI5/HTML5/Fiori developers? How can we proceed?

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I know, SAP Web IDE is a browser-based toolkit available on SAP HANA Cloud Platform.

yes you can use it on hana cloud platform but you can also use SAP-Web IDE on your local computer. kindly check this.

Do I have to have an SMP server up and running in order to be able to develop my mobile hybrid apps using Kapsel and accessing SAP data

No, you don't need to have an SMP server-up and running to accsess SAP data. There is also one doc that may help SAPUI5 SDK - Demo Kit

Also, refering from here ,Kapsel is a set of plugins that enhance Apache Cordova with functionality such as a stream-lined logon to an SMP 3.0 server, the ability to update deployed applications, encrypted storage and push notifications, means that kapsel is not a part of sap mobile platform, it is part of apache cordova.

by the way, what is the difference between hybrid and native application

Adem,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Adem Çekiç,

I've been thrilled with meeting someone like you having solid, enterprise-level experience(s) on Web IDE and whatnots.

Jokes aside,

yes you can use it on hana cloud platform but you can also use SAP-Web IDE on your local computer. kindly check this. SAP Web IDE - Local Trial Version

Reading directly from that link you gave:

Please note:

This is a trial version for non-productive usage only.

We also have SAP Web IDE based on SAP HANA Cloud Platform, where we offer trial and productive versions.

So, could you please explain if there's a local productive version of SAP Web IDE for our real business needs beyond trial? Or, as I've mentioned in my original question, do we still have to have an online, paid account on the Cloud (like the one on Amazon), to use SAP Web IDE tool?

No, you don't need to have an SMP server-up and running to accsess SAP data. There is also one doc that may help SAPUI5 SDK - Demo Kit

Also, refering from here ,Getting Started with Kapsel - Part 1Kapsel is a set of plugins that enhance Apache Cordova with functionality such as a stream-lined logon to an SMP 3.0 server, the ability to update deployed applications, encrypted storage and push notifications, means that kapsel is not a part of sap mobile platform, it is part of apache cordova.

Really? Kapsel's a set of plugins means to me that Kapsel must be extremely SAP related and that it must be a part of SAP's mobility efforts. Don't you think so? (I don't know, on the other hand, if Kapsel was developed by the same team who also developed the SMP.)

I've been under an impression that, somehow, Kapsel needs to be coupled with SMP in order to make sense in a SAP landscape. Otherwise, just Cordova itself is enough to write mobile apps.

Have you had any previous practical experience on Cordova on SAP, or are you just writing from what you've heard around others?

by the way, what is the difference between hybrid and native application

Adem,

That's truely off-topic, but... I've no idea what you're talking about, however we'll surely iron this out in a short talk with you at the office, tomorrow. Speaking of which, you'd better smoke less (to have your young brain perfused with more blood), get enough of sleep (don't stay late at the office just to prepare such a post), and more importantly gain a better persona on the Internet by first making use of a real name in your posts, and second thinking twice before making such "sarcastic" posts particularly directed to your team leads. At the end of the day, you're still a member of my small team in İstanbul, right? . Do you wanna match your wits with those of the others', I'd choose a more liberal platform other than here on SCN.

Best,

İbrahim Ersin Şenol