cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating BODS XI 3.2 -> 4.2 : about central repositories

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are studying the best way to migrate our old BODS XI 3.2 to 4.2 SP4 in Windows environment.

Our repositories (local/central) are currently using MySQL 5.0 database.

We plan to use SQL Server RDBMS repositories (2008 or 2012).

Migrating local repositories is clearly described on the web so I don't have any question about this.

Concerning central repositories, I can't find a way to migrate those repositories from MySQL to SQL Server that preserves the history.

Moreover, in the Product Availability Matrix (https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000441762013E), MySQL 5.0 is deprecated for BODS 4.2, so is it possible to use the "upgrade" tool in the new Repository Manager ?

Any idea ?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If your are changing the underlying system and/or database during upgrade, your only viable option would be to use export/import with .atl file.

And you're absolutely right, if you cannot use the DS Repository Manager for your upgrade, you'll always lose the history.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answer.

Let's consider that I have already installed IPS and BODS 4.2 on a new server.

Can you tell me if the following migration steps are correct :

1- I upgrade the old MySQL 5.0 central repository as described in the upgrade document with Repository Manager

2- I use Data Services Workbench to move the upgraded repository to another SQL Server secured central repository.

Does this way will preserve the history of the central repository ?

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If that would work, you'll sure keep the history. But:

1/. DS 4.2 SP4 Repository Manager may not be able to access MySQL 5.0. As you've already understood, the PAM clearly states that version is deprecated. You may give it a try though, who knows you're lucky. Or alternatively, upgrade to a more recent and supported MySQL version first.

2/. I have personally never copied repository contents the way you propose. It definitely is not supported. As said, I am always using export/import. But again, try your luck. Note that there are more or less subtle differences between the different database types (check the repository creation and upgrade scripts in $LINK_DIR\admin\repo) that may cause your transfer job to fail. And if the copy operation works, don't forget to manually edit the AL_MACHINE_INFO table afterwards.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jean,

Please refer the below points for your environment:

(a) Create two blank schema/database in SQL Server

(b) After creation of blank  schema/database, Make it as a Local repository & Secure Central Repository using SAP business Objects Data Services repository Manager 3.2 version

(c) After creation of repository move all content from Local repository (MY SQL) to Secure Central Repository (SQL Server)

(d) Then move all Jobs From  Secure Central Repository (SQL Server) to Local Repository (SQL Server)

(e) Test all Jobs

After above steps migrate both the repository from BODS 3.2 to BODS 4.2, This was the best way for your environment.

Hope this will help for you!!!

Thanks,

Daya