cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP TDMS - Ensure Repository between Sender & Receiver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I've some questions about TDMS prerequisites.

I know that repository consistency between Sender and Receiver need to be checked before performing SAP TDMS scenario.

But my question is, how to ensure consistency between Production System and Quality System?

Repository means workbench and cross client customizing.

So there are usually inconsistencies between production and quality systems.

TDMS does not work if  the two systems are not aligned?

Do we have some recommandations, or best practices to make it happened?

Regards,

Benjamin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Benjamin,

There is a functionality available in TDMS 4.0 Work centre to compare the repository of sender and receiver system. Go to home page of tdms work centre and then click on the link 'Analyses and reports', this will open the new screen where you can find option to compare sender and receiver system repository.

You can see all the inconsistencies as output of this report and correct all the inconsistencies. If there are lot of inconsistencies and you need all those tables where inconsistency is reported then better you create the receiver system using shell creation which will ensure that repository and cross client customizing of sender and receiver is same.

Thanks

Anita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anita,

Thank you for your reply.

I knew this report, but i'm still wondering myself how could we align quality system with productive system.

Quality system gather many project and many modifications. The report highligh inconsistencies, but i not sure about capacity to transport modifications in production systems, each time i need to use TDMS. The gap is too huge between both systems.

Regards,

Benjamin

rajesh_kumar2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

Your requirement is indeed practical.

Here the most consistent approach is to use shell creation to build the receiver system since, we know that there is quite a lot of deviation in the cross-client customizing / repository in the quality systems.

However at the same time, you can continue to use TDMS to copy data from your production environment to the quality environment with the repository as it is ( with some delta difference in the repository)... In this case, you would be able to copy data for at least all the existing transactional / Master Data from production to quality system, which will allow to test your new developments / business scenarios etc...

Following could be the situations that you need to understand with this approach -

1. In case there are some new dictionary / DB object newly created in receiver system would remain   blank as there would be no corresponding data for the same in the sender system,

2. For any dictionary / DB objects if there has been any modification in non-key fields for data type etc.. / or cases where new include structure may have been added, such table fields will not be populated. Rest other table fields data would still be consistent. All such inconsistencies would be displayed in the TDMS activities. Here you would have the option to either synch the corresponding , structures or alternately you may still continue without any changes ,

3.There may be some dynamically generated program references in the system which may vary compared to your sender environment. Such reports may need to be re-generated using some standard reports etc.. in case you face issues post copy.

4. In some situations, you may want to re-import some specific customizing's that would vary compared to the sender environment after the TDMS copy. So you need to be pro-active in ensuring such customizing requirements of your team...

Overall I would suggest that you should try with at least one test TDMS copy , with the existing repository differences . This should be mostly helpful for your case .

Please do share your experience / challenges in case you decide to go ahead with this suggestion.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

solnegros
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi there,

doing TDMS Client copies with one year of production Transaction data into two separate Clients into our development System out of our production System - here I have DDIC differences all the time for sure - TDMS will check this but you can go further on with your TDMS Client copy - thats Advantage against Standard Client copy tool from SAP which will stop when DDIC check have inconsistencies -

with this solution we have much more Options for testings into our development System without having Need to Import transports to next System Level cause of actual production data on Level development System -

We refresh those two Clients one time a year - thats very sufficient and enough in our enviroment - Size of such a Client is approx. 520GB for each approx. 1TB in total plus Standard size of DEV System is 1.3 TB in total -

before that solution we have had a four Level ERP System landscape  DEV  QAS  INT  PRD - now we could eliminate our QAS System with a DB size of approx. 3TB and reduce our maintanance and storage/Backup effort - costs a lot -

and it works

regards

Peter Wegner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Benjamin ,

In addition to what Rajesh said at any point in time this can not be a case where in your production system has a table or structure which your quality system does not have . So chances of error during TDMS copy are very few . Only thing is for those table fields or structures which are there in QA and Not in Prod data will not be transfered.

Regards,

Umesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all you returns.

So if my customer does not want to perform a shell creation, i can advise it to execute SAP TDMS between production et quality system, even if there are some misalignment on the both systems?

TDMS will be able to run until the end of the scenario ( for instance time based and company code)?

Kind Regards,

Benjamin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can ask them to execute TDMS, you might get some errors during execution for some conversion objects, in that case you need to either resolve the inconsistency between the objects or you can exclude that particular object from transfer depending on the requirement.