cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade BW 7.02 Non-unicode to BW 7.31 Non-unicode?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can anyone help me with steps to upgrade BW 7.02 Non-unicode server to BW 7.31 Non-unicode server?

Upgrade should be done non-unicode to non-unicode ( without unicode conversion ).

I have gone through the following Link

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70bf34ec-5db8-2f10-0d8f-f6d47391c...

But did not get clear picture of non-unicode to non-unicode.

Kindly help.

Thank you

Regards

Pavan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pavan,

Could you be a little bit more specific about what isn't clear to you ?

Also, just out of curiosity, why go to 7.31 when you can go to 7.4 ?

Items you'd need in any case.

Upgrade Guides:

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=00200682500000002672&_EVENT=DISPLAY&

_SCENARIO=&_HIER_KEY=5011000358700000…

1403832 - Central Note: Upgrade Systems on SAP NetWeaver 7.3

The upgrade without unicode migration is from a pure technical point of view pretty straight forward. As I always say, it's almost a 50/50 split between preparation and planning and execution.

A. Create a strong project plan with detailed tasks.

B. Create a before and after test plan.

Let's assume a dual stack.

1. Perform a DSS (dual stack split)

2. After DSS, reconnect new JAVA stack to ABAP stack.

3. Tests after JAVA+ABAP reconnection and before upgrade.

3.Perform preparation actions from notes / guides.

4. Upgrade ABAP + JAVA stacks.

FYI, it is also possible to perform a CU&UC meaning you could do your upgrade followed by a unicode conversion.

928729 - Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion (CU&UC)

Kindest Regards,

Amerjit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amerjit,

Thank you for your valuable help.

Our customer requirement is to upgrade to 7.31 and without unicode conversion.

They have already done DSS and disabled JAVA stack, It is just ABAP system which has to be upgraded.

Can you tell me the exact steps to be performed.

what is the role of /ASU/UPGRADE in it? how to use the ASU tool and When to use it?

Thank you

Warm Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pavan,

I don't have time to go through the exact steps to be performed as this is what you will get out of the guides that have been proposed by myself and others who have replied to you.

/ASU/UPGRADE is essentially guided procedures that you have to go through one by one where some will be pure basis and some pure BW.

Your friends in this process will be

1. A quiet place to work.

2. A working printer.

3. Pens/Pencils/Markers

4. A browser with a working internet connection.

5. Tea/Coffee/Water

6. The guides mentioned above

Ultimately you will distill what you find in the above docs into a roadmap and working plan.

Prepare, plan, test ...... Prepare, plan, test .....Prepare, plan, test

Good luck and most importantly ENJOY.

Amerjit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

for Application Specific Upgrade ASU, check that note :

1000009 - ASU-Toolbox 2008

Regards,

Serhat

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pavan,

This note describes your case: 1896539 - Questions about compatibility and end of support to non-Unicode systems

Question:

You will upgrade your non-Unicode system, and are wondering about the following questions:

1. Is it mandatory to convert your system to Unicode?

Answer:

No, it is not mandatory to convert your system to unicode. However, as per SAP Note 73606: "Non-Unicode Single Code Page upgrades to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 up to SAP NetWeaver 7.40 (including all Enhancement Packages) are not recommended but currently still possible. Non-Unicode Single Code Page upgrades to releases beyond SAP Netweaver 7.40 are not supported". The document attached to SAP Note 73606 (I18nCode_Page_Support.ppt) also provides a good breakdown.

Best regards,

Serhat

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

please have a look at SAP note 2033243. SAP highly recommends to include a Unicode conversion for any upgrade of an ABAP based Non-Unicode system. Otherwise there is a risk that your next upgrade to a NW release following NW 7.40 will cause much more effort (as you have to include Unicode and a combined approach may not exist anymore).

In addition it might be helpful to have a  look into SAP note 1322715.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan ,

Since you are keeping Your version as non unicode itself make sure that you download the kernel files of the target as non unicode .

Did you check in PAM  ? Also did you gernerate the stack.xml for the upgrade .

As no Unicode conversion is planned upgrade should be straightforward  otherwise  ( all the process remains the same as in ur  refered best practice document ). 

Believe you have already considered the challenges that are there in case the decision is to continue with non unicode

838402 - Problems within non-Unicode systems and landscapes

Thanks ,

Manu

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Everything is present in the upgrade guide. Check PAM for the supported OS and DB for the target release. Create the stack file using MOPZ and download all the patches, the upgrade media and also the SUM tool. The /ASU/UPGRADE step will create a list of tasks that are to be implemented on the system. You need to check all the SAP notes and implement them if they are relevant.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you tell me about upgrade without unicode conversion. ?

Regards

Pavan

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Pavan

The steps I have provided above are ONLY for upgrade and it does not include the UC conversion.

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pavan,

This is very important to understand that - SAP stopped non-unicode system support. So if you will upgrade your system without unicode conversion , you will face lots of problem for SAP support during upgrade time and after that also.

But yes , we can do upgrade without unicode conversion. You need to generate the proper stack file through solution manager and prerequisites should meet before upgrade.

Some important points : -

Do not choose SGEN run during Upgrade.

Kernel file should be perfect.

Please upgrade SPAM and BASIS / ABAP SP before start.

Regards

Pranay Agarwal