cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX-DB Memory paramaeter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have an SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5 running with SAP MAX-DB on SUSE Linux.

we have allocated 30 GB of RAM to this machine, both data base and SAP app server are running under same host or physical application server.

In the process of performance tuning i have allocated 20 GB of RAM to SAP using em/initial_size_mb and based on this i have adjusted other SAP profiles parameters .

Now i  want to allocate 8 GB of RAM to database , can any one please help me how to allocate this fixed amount of RAM to database MAX DB so that if any query runs on database it responds very fast.

From my understanding SAP MAX-DB uses cache_size to read content from database please correct me if i am wrong.

My current  CacheMemorySize  is  350080 , can i increase this value to higher level so that my max db performance also increases when ever you are running any query on database.

When i open TX  SPRO and expand nodes it takes lots of time to respond, i have changed parameters related to SAP but i have done nothing related to MAX DB. Please help me understand how can i increase performance of maxdb.

On 30 gigs of memory there are only 10 active users , I want this machine to be running on ample speed its a very critical machine for us.

My MAX - DB Release -  " 7.9.08.008 ".

DB client lib.                  "SQLDBC 7.8.1.014 "
DB releases   " MaxDB 7.7, MaxDB 7.8 , MaxDB 7.9 "
DBSL version  " 720.00 "

DBSL Patch Level             " 441 "

Please let me know if you need any further logs.

Thanks in advance !!

Regards,

Vardhan.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vardhan,

I think as long as you followed up SAP note 1346964, then the system general parameters are ok.
If you suspect there is slowness on database, we have to look at the slowness case by case.

Cheers,
James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  James,

Thanks for the quick response , however i have verified that the parameters that are mentioned in the SAP note are mentioned correct , i search for  few parameters which are not existing in the system, please see the screenshot below available parameters.

Do i need to activate any trace on database and check which are all the cases that db is responding slowly .

i also verified ST02 there are  no swap spaces , i last restarted my SAP system more than a week ago.

Thanks in advance !!!

Regards,

Vardhan.

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

hi Vardhan,

I am not sure if the db50/dbacockpit list all the parameters. You can verify a parameter with maxdb
dbmcli command:

dbmcli -d <dbsid> -u contron,<password> param_getfull <parameter_name>

I have to say performance tuning is almost impossible to do in this conversation, it needs more
to verify and better to have someone look at the system directly. Did you know SAP has such kind of service called golive check? If you are an SAP customer, you can order this service from SAP.

Best regards,
James