cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java 8 Update 40 - Security Error prevents ESR/ID Opening

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

so perhaps like me you couldn't help yourself and updated your local Java Run-time to Update 40 of Java 8.

Apart from the funky new blue colour of the Java logo, you probably ran into a problem where the ESR or ID would not open. The following screenshot is likely what you saw;

You click on the link; Security level settings in the Java Control Panel and find out that

Starting with Java 8 Update 20, the Medium security level has been removed from the Java Control Panel. Only High and Very High levels are available.

Perhaps like me you smacked yourself in head thinking what a fantastic way to start the day. But don't fear! Launch the Java Control Panel.

Navigate to the Security tab and click on the 'Edit Site List' - this will allow you to add the URL from where your are launching your ESR and ID from.

Really important to ensure that you fully type in the address. Wildcard prefixed address do not work. Eg, http://*.mydomain.com/ has no positive impact. (Which seemed ok in earlier versions with Medium Security enabled).

Once done relaunch ESR and ID and then continue on your merry way.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member184619
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the info.

Another way that I follow is to stop the updates automatically, under Update tab.

1. On the Java Control panel Update tab, click Advanced
    The Automatic Update Advanced Settings dialog appears.
  2. Change the frequency and the date and time for the Java Update.

Regards,

Sachin Dhingra

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is good info, but you should've created a blog/document vs posting this as a discussion.

Former Member