cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple planning views per workbook - Is it possible to reuse a template?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I've been working with the new functionality that allows to have multiple planning views per workbook.  I created and formatted a planning view on one worksheet, and I want to replicate it onto a second worksheet so it can have different filters or aggregations.  However, the only way I've been able to create a second planning view within one workbook is by using the "New View" > "Without Template On Current Sheet" which starts with a blank slate.

If I click on "New View" > "From Template...", the system creates a new view, using the template, but on a new workbook.

Is there a way to create multiple planning views and use an existing template without having to start the formatting from scratch ?

Thank you,
Marco

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

Correct, the "New View" > "Without Template on Current Sheet" is the only way to currently create multiple planning views in a workbook. Since a template is a whole workbook, it can't be inserted into an existing one.

The system will automatically re-use the EPM-formatting sheet for the new sheet.

If you copy the header rows from the original to the new one, make sure you adjust the linkage of charts, dropdowns and the like, as Excel will by default have them point back to the original workbook.

You can also use the sheets from the "empty" templates in note 1790530 to copy into your workbook and then create the planning view with "New View" > "Without Template on Current Sheet" on the sheet. Or if you - as suggested in the note - have a version of your template without the planning view in it, you can use that.

Kind regards,
Cora

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alecsandra and YS.

I've tried both methods ("Move or Copy" and "+ & Drag and Drop"), and in both, the workbook ends with the additional worksheet, with the local members and formatting, but it does not seem to be tied to the "Edit View" screen like in my screenshots above.  The screen only shows the tab of the original Planning View that existed originally.

When you tried it in your system did you verify that the new worksheet appeared as a separate tab in the "Edit View" screen?

Thanks,
Marco

yeushengteo
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Sorry Marco, you are right after checking again... it seemed you have recreate it...

Regards.

YS

Message was edited by: Yeu Sheng Teo

Alecsandra
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

Try by copying your planning view worksheet into a new worksheet. Then refresh / change dimensions etc.

Regards,

Alecsandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alecsandra,

I have tried to copy the planning view onto a new worksheet, and it looks like it works, but in reality it does not. See attached screenshot

The second worksheet is not tied to the "Edit View" screen.  Is there a special way to copy and ensure that the second worksheet is attached to the "Edit View" screen?  If I create a manual planning view on a new worksheet, it will get attached to the "Edit View" screen, but I need to start the planning view from scratch.

I have several Local Members that are I need to build manually again on the secondary one.

Thanks,

Marco

yeushengteo
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Marco

On your planning view worksheet tab, right click to select 'Move or Copy" option. Select the checkbox 'Create a copy' checkbox and pick (move to end) for the same planning book.

Try it and see if it helps.

Regards.

YS