cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade SAP ECC 6.0 system

0 Kudos

Hi,

We have an ECC 6.0 SAP (kernel 7.0) ERP system (non Unicode) on Windows 2003 with oracle 10.2.0.4.0 database.

We would like to go to the last version of SAP (for example ECC 6.0 with EHP 6) on Windows 2012 R2 with the compatible version of oracle 11.2.

Can we follow the following procedure to achieve this?

1. Install on a new server Windows 2012 R2 x64 with oracle 11.2 and sap ecc 6.0 with EHP6.

2. Install patches for kernel and applications.

3. Perform an homogeneous system copy from the old system.

Is it possible to use homogeneous system copy procedure?

If it is not possible to use homogeneous system copy, what steps in general do we have to take?

Thanks in advanced.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stillianos,

No, you've got the sequence of steps a bit out of order, though partly correct.

YES, you can start by installing a new server with Windows 2012 R2 and Oracle appropriate version (double-check the PAM to ensure the target Oracle version is ok with ECC 6.0). However, do NOT install SAP onto this new server yet.

Step 2 is the homogeneous system copy from your ERP 6.00 system on Win2003 to your new Win2012 server. Note it will still be ERP 6.00 at this point. You will probably use a newer kernel (7.21_EXT, I think) for the target system, so make sure you choose a kernel that support Win2012 R2, Oracle 11.2, and NetWeaver 7.00.

Step 3 is to upgrade your ERP system by applying EhP6.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your answer

What you mean by saying " do NOT install SAP onto this new server yet".

Does the homogeneous system copy procedure (steps) contains the installation of SAP?

So far when I do homogeneous system copy (for example to DEV system) I install SAP and then I follow the steps of homogeneous system copy (restore database etc).

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

do NOT install SAP onto this new server yet

Here Matt suggested this to you just because of, during system copy procedure (Homogeneous system copy ) the tool will automatically stop &  will ask to restore the backup & install the things for you.

So you need not to install SAP onto the new server.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kalimera Stillianos,

First of all, I would recommend Oracle Upgrade of your original system.  Since your original system 10.2.0.4 and you want to have a system with 11.2, it would be safer when you first upgrade your database to 11.2 and then execute system copy. It would guarantee consistency of your system.

So my steps sequence would be:

1.a Upgrade your DB from 10.2.0.4. to 11.2

1.b  Install on a new SAP system Windows 2012 R2 x64 with oracle 11.2 and sap ecc 6.0 with EHP6. It's the template for system copy.

2. Install patches for kernel and applications.

3. Perform an homogeneous system copy from the old system.

4. Upgrade

Best regards,

Serhat

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

He can't do a system copy from an ERP 6.00 system to an existing ERP 6.06 system, and that installation is pointless. He doesn't need to install anything SAP-wise on the target server ahead of the system copy (other than perhaps diagnostics agent, but that can also be done afterwards). The system copy will install the ERP system, then he can do the SAP upgrade afterwards.

But, you are correct that the system copy must be from and to the same release of Oracle (this is the not the case with SQL Server, with which I work -- a backup from a downlevel database can be restored to an upgraded system, and then the system copy procedure will update its compatibility level). So, an Oracle in-place upgrade needs to happen on the source system (11.2 is supported on Win2003 and with ERP 6.00, but 10.2 is not supported on Win2012R2).

So, steps are:

1. In-place upgrade of Oracle on source server.
  2. Extract backup, etc, from source system per the homogeneous system copy guide.
  3. Install new server with Win2012R2 and Oracle 11.2 (no SAP installation at this time).
  4. Run "install target system" steps of system copy (per the guide), which will prompt for the Oracle restore using the backup you created earlier. This will install ERP 6.00.
  5. Upgrade target system to EhP6.

Because you are not changing the OS or DBMS platform, just upgrading them, this is still a homogeneous system copy.

0 Kudos

Matt can you send me the link to the system copy guide you are referring to.

I suspect that there are different methods for homogeneous system copy procedure.

Thanks.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

http://service.sap.com/instguides -> SAP NetWeaver -> SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s) -> Installation -> 2 - Installation - SAP NetWeaver Systems -> System Copy: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0/7.0 EHPs (note, may need to open this particular link in a new tab) -> Windows: ABAP. This opens the System Copy Guide: SAP Systems Based on the Application Server ABAP of SAP NetWeaver on Windows: Valid for SAP NetWeaver 7.0 to 7.0 Including Enhancement Package 3 (document version 1.7 - 2014-11-24). Within the guide you can find chapter 5 for Database-Specific System Copy and chapter 5.1 for Oracle-Specific Procedure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Yes, that's correct. There is no need to install new ERP 6.06 system. Just go ahead with system copy.

Regards,

Serhat

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Before starting the homogeneous system copy, kindly check the PAM your current ECC 6 system supported windows 2012 with Oracle DB or not? Could you share your support package release?

To find the system copy guide you use the link http://service.sap.com/guidefinder - select your OS / DB & SAP version

Br

SS

Answers (0)