cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM to EP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey guys...

im very new to mdm...i may sound weird, but i actually hav no idea abt mdm..

wud like to knw a few queries...

1. data structure stored in mdm..

2. if i want to pull data frm mdm..EP at the other end...do i need Xi in this sceanrio or is it possible any other way?

3. stack on which mdm is built?

4. Is mdm standalone?

regards,

vishal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

Can you tell me the System landscape you defined for Netweaver like SAP EP, SAP MDM, SAP XI...

SAP MDM is mainly used to maintain master data of an enterprise. It is a seperate tool. It requires neither Java stack or ABAP stack.

From the question you asked I can able to figure out that you have confusion where to install MDM? If I am right.

For more details i am giving you a live environment for "Where to implement SAP MDM, SAP EP and maintaining SAP MDM using SAP EP ?".

Say a Organization X has distributed environment with master data maintained in different system (SAP/ Non SAP).

This organization want to maintain single truth of master data to avoid retundancy.

In this case we have implement MDM system. We import, consolidate and distribute the Master data with the help of MDM GUI clients.

Now all the organization master data are maintained in SAP MDM.

If the organization need SAP EP to maintain Master data stored in MDM. You need to install SAP EP on SAP WAS Java (Java Stack). Now we have to connect SAP EP and SAP MDM. For this purpose SAP provide us the SAP MDM Java connector, which connects SAP EP and SAP MDM and SAP EP Business package for SAP MDM, prebuilt EP content for SAP MDM to maintain master data using SAP EP.

Please let me know if you need any clarification in this.

Thanks,

Arun prabhu S

Former Member
0 Kudos

tht ws indeed a pretty nice explanation.

thanx..

Vish

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

Let me clarify your doubt in intergration of SAP EP with SAP MDM.

SAP MDM is a standalone application.

SAP EP sits on SAPWAS Java.

If you want to integrate SAP EP with SAP MDM, you need to perform the following steps...

1. Deploy SAP MDM Java Connector ( Available in SAP Service Market place) in SAP WAS

2. Deploy SAP MDM Business Package( Available in SAP Service Market place) in SAP WAS

3. Create a MDM System in EP, through which you can access SAP MDM repositories.

SAP XI is used to integrate MDM with other SAP systems ( Eg. R/3)

About the data structure, SAP MDM stores master data in the repositories. The repository structure has been defined to maintain the Master data. However you can modify the repository structure or make use of business contents for repository. Each repository has it oun schema defined in the back end (database) system of MDM ( Eg. SQL 2000)

Thanks,

Arun prabhu

former_member189059
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is some more info i found

MDM is a package of heterogeneous components -- a diverse mix that makes selecting the right combination the first step to a fruitful implementation.

While MDM is firmly positioned as the Master Data solution for SAP NetWeaver, its underlying technology stack is eclectic, and allows quite a bit of site-specific creativity in the software selection and installation process.

The Java API is the focal platform for custom coding on MDM

• SAP MDM 5.5 comes with prepackaged data models for Customers, Vendors, Materials and Employees.

• SAP MDM 5.5 has predefined integration maps with mySAP ERP, BI and other SAP components.

• SAP MDM 5.5 supports integration to core SAP components through ABAP API’s and IDOCs ; and to non-SAP components through JAVA APIs and Webservices.

• SAP MDM 5.5 provides tools for defining business rules, taxonomy and relationships, making it well suited for governance initiatives.

• SAP MDM 5.5 components like Import Manager, Data Manager and Syndication Manager allow validating, cleansing, mapping, moving and managing data.

• SAP MDM 5.5 is part of the NetWeaver stack, enabling easy integration through Exchange Infrastructure (XI) to Transactions apps (like mySAP ERP, mySAP CRM, etc.), Content (like unstructured data, web, etc.), and Analytics systems (like SAP BW).

Former Member
0 Kudos

i was indeed able to search the last few point s made by u on google..

but all n all i wanna knw, wen we call MDM as a netweaver,..shud it not b based on abap n java stack?

or is it actually based too..???

former_member189059
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vallabha,

I can answer a couple of your questions.

To send data to ePortal you need MDM syndicator and

Yes, MDM is standalone