Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Upgrade Strategy

RajuRs
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have couple of queries regarding HANA Upgrade from SP7 to SP8 , i hope you guys can help in this.

We currently have our BW (SAP Netweaver 731 ) running HANA SP7 Revision 73 and we are planning to upgrade our Support
Pack for HANA DB.

As per Note # 1948334 , i can see the below recommendations , Considering these recommendations i have 2 questions (listed below the table )

Current maintenance revision

Possible target SP or
  maintenance revisions

Revision 69.00

Upgrade to revision 70.00 (or
  any higher SP or maintenance

revision)

Revision 69.01

Upgrade to revision 71.00 (or

revision)

Revision 69.02

revision)

Revision 69.03

revision)

Revision 69.04

Upgrade to revision 74.00 (or

revision)

Revision 69.05

Upgrade to revision 74.01 (or

revision)

Revision 69.06

Upgrade to revision 74.01 (or

revision)

Revision 69.07

Upgrade
  to revision 74.01 (or any higher SP or maintenance

revision)

Revision 74.01

Upgrade
  to revision 74.02 (or any higher SP or maintenance

revision)

Revision 74.02

Upgrade
  to revision 74.03 (or any higher maintenance revision) and

revision 81 (or any higher SP revision)

Revision 74.03

Upgrade
  to revision 82.00 (or any higher SP or maintenance

revision)

Revision 74.04

Upgrade
  to revision 82.00 (or any higher SP revision)

Revision 85.01

Upgrade
  to revision 92.00 (or any higher SP revision)

Revision 85.02

Upgrade
  to revision 93.00 (or any higher SP revision)

Question 1 : I haven't seen any Restriction / Recommendations for upgrading from HANA Revision 73 to any Higher versions, so am i safer to assume that we can upgrade to any revision in SP8 from SP7 revision 73 or i need to upgrade our HANA DB revision to 74.02 or 74.03 or 74.03 before we go to SP8 ?

Question 2 : What is the Best revision that you suggest to go in SP8 from SP7 revision 73 , i know as per Note # 1924675 Datacentre Service point for SP8 is revision 82 , but considering the point that SP9 is already released , are we safer to go to revision 85 ?

Regards

Raju

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lingaraju, Question1: I have not seen any note from SAP that confirms you need to be on a specific vesion of SPS07 before you upgrade to SPS08 So you should be able to upgrade to SPS08 Moreover the note below updated last week by SAP confirms SAP HANA Revision 73 was a Datacenter Service point and the current Data center service point is Revision 74 Question2: We have upgraded our production landscape from 74.03 to 85.01 earlier this year and it works well, so I can suggest this to be a good version for now 2021789 - SAP HANA Revision and Maintenance Strategy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mathanponnucham
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear Lingaraju,

I would recommend you to read the SAP HANA Release strategy document (https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001182742013) to understand the difference between

1. SAP HANA Support Pack
  2. SAP HANA Revision
  3. SAP HANA Maintanence Revision
  4. SAP HANA Datacenterpoint

Now to answer your question:

Question 1 : I haven't seen any Restriction / Recommendations for upgrading from HANA Revision 73 to any Higher versions, so am i safer to assume that we can upgrade to any revision in SP8 from SP7 revision 73 or i need to upgrade our HANA DB revision to 74.02 or 74.03 or 74.03 before we go to SP8 ?

Ans: You can upgrade to any  SAP HANA Revision in SAP HANA SPS8, but SAP HANA Datacenter release 82 is the recommended one (check slide  9 of SAP HANA Release strategy document to understand the reasoning).

Question 2 : What is the Best revision that you suggest to go in SP8 from SP7 revision 73 , i know as per Note # 1924675 Datacentre Service point for SP8 is revision 82 , but considering the point that SP9 is already released , are we safer to go to revision 85 ?

Ans: Refer to slide  9 of SAP HANA Release strategy document to understand the reasoning behind why we need to upgrade to SAP HANA Datacenter point release.

If you would still want to upgrade to a latest release in SAP HANA SPS8 then I would recommend you to read the corresponding release notes before you make a decision.

Rgds,

Mat.