Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

During SUM Update: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

former_member285279
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

during Support Package deployment with SUM for an java only system we receive following error in the last step Finalization 5.0:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

We aren't not able to identify the root cause for this issue.

Could someone help us here?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jochen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jochen,

Hope you are doing good.

Nice to hear from you again.

Looks like a memory issue. When the engine goes down due to heap issues, there are 2 main steps

inorder to resolve the case:

1) Make sure that the j2ee parameters and the server on the whole is configured correctly so that optimum performance can be obtained.

2) If 1) does not help, there may be a application causing a memory leak. We need to identify this and fix the issue.

Please have a look at:

SAP Note No. 1004255- How to create a full HPROF heap dump of J2EE Engine

If you wish to analyse yourself, more details are available in SAP note 1883568 and:

<https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/Java/Java+Memory+Analysis>

Hope this helps.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Kind Regards,

Hemanth
SAP AGS
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

former_member285279
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

nice to read from you again here!

Yes many thanks! You too?

Regarding the issue, first of all many thanks to you for this helpfully hints!

In the meantime we was able to solve the issue and I will share with you the result.

Maybe it's helpfully for someone because here is nothing documented at SUM Guide.

The "OutOfMemoryError" is related to SUM and not to java system.

With "ps -ef | grep SUM" you are able to identify the java start parameter for SUM startup

/<path>/SUM/sdt/../jvm/jre/bin/java -classpath /<path>/SUM/sdt/lib/sdt_bootstrap.jar -ea -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:-MaxFDLimit -Djava.system.class.loader=com.sap.sdt.bootstrap.SystemClassLoader com.sap.sdt.bootstrap.Startup hostname=<host> rootdir=/<path>/SUM/sdt

The configuration file is "/<path>/SUM/sdt/exe/DSUService"-

Here you have to increase "-Xmx1024m" and "-XX:MaxPermSize=512m" to an higher value.

E.g.: "-Xmx2048m" and "-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m"

This solved our problem.

Have a nice time!

Regards,

Jochen

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Great news Jochen.

You are right, this does not seem to be documented. I will get in touch with the upgrade team and perhaps we can create a note/kba for this.
Thank you for pointing this out.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Kind Regards,

Hemanth
SAP AGS
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Jochen, you saved my day.

I stopped the tool, corrected the file DSUService and restarted SUM once again, the error vanished.

Regards,

Mohan

former_member285279
Participant
0 Kudos

Nice to read this Mohan. Sometimes, someone of you saves my day!

Regards,

Jochen

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

brahama_kroma
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks I was able to resolve the overhead limit exceeded issue we had using SUM SP14

Thanks

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jochen,

The upgrade doc (Update of SAP Systems Using Software Update Manager 1.0 SP12 ) does have this detail:

Out of Memory Error

The deployment of the queue can finish with an Out of Memory error if not enough virtual memory is available. To solve this problem, use the Config Tool  and set the heap size and permanent space Java parameters as described in SAP Note 723909 Information published on SAP site.

If you encounter such an error in the  DEPLOY_ONLINE_* steps and SAP Note  723909 Information published on SAP site does not solve your problem, increase the value of the *.MaxHeapSize property in the  startup.properties configuration file. The file is located at  <Drive>:\usr\sap\<SAPSID>\SUM\sdt\data\kernel\startup.properties.

Kind regards,
Hemanth

former_member285279
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Hemanth,

many thanks for highlight this.

I have already read this chapter "Out of Memory Error" in the SUM guide.

The first part is for the server system, the second part for SUM itself.

Just on the edge, the path in the SUM Guide "Software Update Manager 1.0 SP12" is wrong:

... file is located at /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/java/data/kernel/startup.properties ...

the correct path is:

/<path>/SUM/sdt/data/kernel/startup.properties

The second thing is, we don't have any "startup.properties" file under the entire SUM.

We did only a Support Package update (no stack) with this SUM application to a java only system and it wasn't used before.

I duple check this with an different SUM which was only used for a Support Package Upgrade to a SAP PI System 7.31 (ABAP/JAVA).

Here I was able to find the "startup.properties" in the path.

So, the question is, why is the file missing in the SUM for the java only system SP update?

The modification of "DSUService" solved our problem.

The SAP Note "723909 - Java-VM-Einstellungen für J2EE 6.40 und J2EE 7.0" provides more general information's regarding java vm configurations and is for this issue not really helpfully.

Regards,

Jochen