cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process chain fails everytime

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We've this process chain that was running successfully until we made a small change.

Process chain when worked fine when it was in this state:

However, when we added another step in the process chain it is failing in version copy step every time it runs. The key observation is if see the log it shows that it has completed all the steps that would typically happen in version copy (so version copy is successful). However, the chain then ends in status 'R' and doesn't proceed further.

The reason the chain has completed is because I've 'skipped' the version copy step (knowing that version copy is successful). The process chain then completes successfully.

Here's the message from version copy step that fails every time.

Just to add, the last step that we added is a custom ABAP program that updates another process chain.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Thanks a lot in advance for your inputs.

Best Regards,

Hiren

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I identified that the issue is persistent only in the Q system. In all other systems (dev, training, production, and other set of systems) it is working fine.

There is some issue with the version copy step as I reduced the chain to only version copy step in Q and it failed as well. (version copy runs successfully when run through program in background).

Even tried multiple imports - re-importing the entire chain, deleting and then re-importing the entire chain, etc but no success in the Q system.

Thought of sharing the findings with all.

Please refer to the screenshot - it does the version copy successfully, however, fails only when it is about to exit the step.

Thanks,

Hiren

satish_waghmare3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hiren

I suggest you to run Planning Area Initialization and Consistency Check for Source and Target Planning Version

/SAPAPO/TS_PAREA_INITIALIZE

/SAPAPO/TS_LCM_CONS_CHECK

This is a good practice and should help prevent any issue during version copy.

Hope this will help.

Thank you,

Satish Waghmare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Thanks for the response.

Tried that but didn't work. Something to do with the addition of last step in the process chain.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Hiren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hiren,

Check the ABAP program variant of the failed step (copy version).  It looks like the production version name of the destination version is wrong.  This is a common problem with transported abap variants.

If you are the same Hiren Patel I worked with last year in the city of S* C* for V* company, I hope married life is suiting you.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BT

The versions are correct in the program variant. Version copy steps (deletion of stocks, orders, etc. and copying orders, stocks,etc.) happens successfully. However, it fails in trying to go to next steps. (plz refer the red box in the last image)

Yeah - married life is good!

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Hiren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hiren,

I had a similar problem once, although it didn't happen with every execution.  We didn't get much help from OSS because we couldn't replicate it consistently.  The problem ultimately 'went away' all by itself  (although I did insert a 5 minute delay between the 'copy' step and the subsequent step).  You might want to try this since it is easy to do, easy to reverse, and it can't hurt anything else.

The disappearance of the problem on my system was coincident with another initiative, where we dramatically reduced the number of orders in the active version (we went from 'daily' bucketed forecast orders to 'weekly' bucketed forecast orders).  I never really found out what caused the error in the copy step, but I have always suspected that it was caused by us hitting some kind of size limitation.

Unless any of these steps you are executing are self-made programs, I really don't think the addition of the final step is the problem.  You can test this theory by removing the final step (the TVARV step) and then see how it behaves.

Best Regards & Good Luck,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hiren

can you please follow the below steps in the sequence for process chain.

1. Copy version.

2. Deinitialize Version (/SAPAPO/TS_PAREA_DE_INITIALIZE)

3. Initialize version

4. Consistency Check vers

I would also suggest to execute LCM_REORG job for respective version once before you start all the job. Please also check if the respective process chain has activated correctly.

Please let me know if this helps to solve the issue, this will also help to add into my experience.

Thanks

Amol

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried this but it didnt resolve the problem. As I mentioned in the post that version copy is successfully completed however when trying to go to next steps, the process chain enters status 'R'.

Thanks for your inputs.

Best Regards,

Hiren