Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the requirement to SAP for ESS and MSS

Former Member
0 Kudos

We would like to implement ESS and MSS.

Currently our SAP version is ECC6.0.

Do we need to upgrade it to implement ESS and MSS?

BTW, currently we store emergency details in IT21, and the contact number in the "Birthplace" field in IT21.

Some consultants said it will cause problem for ESS and MSS. However, we are not sure what kind of bad impact there is on ESS and MSS.

Do we have to change it before we implement ESS and MSS?

Looking forward to your reply and advice.

Thanks very much.

Di

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

ECC 600 is good enough for Java based ESS/MSS, you need to deploy business packages if you want to use this version only http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/EP/Downloading+and+deploy+ESS+and+MSS http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7227 currently we are on SAPUI5/WD ABAP based ESS, MSS read here http://scn.sap.com/community/erp/hcm/employee-self-service/blog/2014/04/18/hcm-ehp5-ehp6-and-hr-rene... it depends on what functionality you are trying to achieve

Former Member
0 Kudos

If u stored some data in IT0021, then the data would be there even after upgrade. Upgrade wouldnot impact the data.

If u stored contact number in birthplace, u might get a validation error while editing the record.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for your reply.

ImranSajid
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

The information provided by Siddharth and Yugandhar is correct. The recommendation should be to not implement the Java version of ESS/MSS as this is really outdated and requires a Java skillset that your current team likely does not have and would require outside resource as well as an Enterprise Portal which would be a large project to implement a significantly out dated service. I am betting that it would be cheaper to update to Enhancement Pack 7 and use NWBC HTML for ESS/MSS which would save quite a bit on implementing the portal (Hardware cost, basis resources, ongoing support)...

At the very least, you should update to at least Enhancement Pack 6 (Although if you do upgrade you might as well upgrade to the latest version EP7 since you will have to test everything regardless). This will put you in a great position to use the latest SAP functionality including NWBC, Fiori, & HR Renewal if necessary or at least have it on your roadmap and be in the position to use the functionality in the future.

Thanks,

Imran

Former Member
0 Kudos

But in nwbc we cannot use some services

ImranSajid
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jwala,

You are correct, but from what I have seen NWBC covers the needs of many clients and especially those ones that are going from no ESS to just rolling it out. NWBC cannot use any of the Java Webdynpro services, but I dont know why anyone would use those at this point. What other services are you thinking about?

All of this is part of the requirements gathering piece to decide on their roadmap.

Imran

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Jwala,

What kind of services can't we use in NWBC?

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

till ehp5 benefits was not availlable, from EHp6 it is So using above EHP6, NWBC shoud be the ideal choice if you dont want portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

It sounds great Siddharth. We are with SAP ECC 6.0 now. Suppose we are good enough for NWBC?

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Actually, You need to check your EA HR version that should be 606 and activate switces as per my blog currently you are on 600 ie JAVA WD SAP HR/EA HR determines enhancement package level

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our EA HR version is 600. Do we have to choose Java WD?

ImranSajid
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yea it looks like you do not have any Enhancement Packs installed. Honestly, I would recommend upgrading your system rather than using the Java WD applications at this point and time. Those applications are very outdated and SAP has gone completely away from them.

I also think your ROI would be cheaper to upgrade and use NWBC as I mentioned previously.

Thanks,

Imran

Answers (0)