cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems starting SUM on Netweaver Java

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello colleagues,

I recently installed Netweaver 7.4 (java only) and now want to patch Java. As I read, JSPM has been obsolete since 7.2 and has been replaced by SUM.

So I installed SUM on my Netweaver host.

The problem now is, that I can call the SUM application on http://<hostname>:4239 , but when the Java banner comes up, nothing happens and I recieve the following error message on OS - Level:

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out...

How to to go around this Socket Timeout?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It seems local system issue which seems to be related to local jdk version.

Have your tried from any other local desktop?

Please work with your system admin to re-install the jdk version in your system, proxy settings etc.

Also your server for upgrade also needs atlease java 5 runtime.

Regards,

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil and Gaurav,

i will check all of that and let you know, whether the problem could be solved or not.

Thanks so far.

Jens

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

Here i still stick with basics & suggest you to confirm for below:

1.Check if there is a firewall in your network ? Try to disable once & check again

2.As you're executing SUM from browser,first you need to check your network with application server (No timeouts in between the network)

3.Use a network protocol analyzer to review the actual network packets between these two.

4.Could you try to execute on some other OS in your network & different IE version.

As per me this issue relates with network at your end & try to update java version also.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

As your SUM screen getting opened, so i guess its not the problem with your port.

I would suggest get the latest JRE installed first on your desktop and the try again.

It seems like your JAVA env is not able to load properly.

or try to open any JAVA MC with url http://<hostname>:5<NN>13 on your desktop to see if you are able to open it.

Regards,

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is the port 4239 enabled on the network without which you will not get the SUM screen after execution STARTUP and giving url in IE.

Also check with network team if firewall or antivirus is restricting the connections.

Regards,

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i get the SUM Screen, but just some kind of startup screen.

After some seconds the Java - Banner disappears und on the commandline or better to say in the log the error java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out is shown.

I am running SUM on Suse Linux and have no option to Update IE. I tried to set teh env/display variable. But nothing seems to help so far.

Thanks for all your help so far.

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens ,

What is your windows version . Try the alternate method

Starting the Software Update Manager GUI - SAP NetWeaver Identity Management REST Interface Version ...

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which OS are you on?

If WIN, try to run SUM(startup.bat) tool with Admin Privileges(Right-click -> Run as Admin).

If UNIX, try to set the env/display variables and then give a try.

regards,

pavan

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Issue completely relates with the IE version using,If possible you can also check with SAP Note   1663313 - SSL not working after applying Microsoft KB 2618444/2585542

as well as try to use updated version of IE.

Good luck !!

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

Please follow SAP Note 1696685 - SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

If you're using it on windows server,please turnoff any antivirus as well as firewall & can retry the process.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

Have you already started the responsible process, per SUM-Guide?

/<update directory>/STARTUP

Best,

Serhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Serhat,

yea i have started the process. I am able to connect the the webservice. But then i tries to start the java application and i get this Socket Timeout error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

Check if the port 4239 is used by another application or not. You can use "netstat -an | grep 4239" command. Shut the browser first.

Regards,

Serhat