Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Upgrade

silentbull
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

We are currently on PI 7.01 and would be upgrading our PI system.  Need some inputs with respect to following stuff.

Due to complex BPM scenarious that we have, we would defintely go with dual stack only.  The question comes more in respect to the following.

1. Is it advisable to go PI7.11 ? - Seems like there is a upgrade path and the hardware does not change and all interfaces is easily migrated without much effort.

2. Is it advisable to to PI 7.3.1 ?-   Though dual stack is not an issue , heard the hardware is different and would require considerable effort in migrating interfaces and also no upgrade path between 7.01 to 7.3.1

Please let me other factors to consider with respect to licensing cost as we are currently in volume based.

We have limited time and limited budget but also need to consider the future.  Your comments are highly valuable.

Regards

Sam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

SAP always recommends to migrate to the later version, in this case SAP PI 7.4 or SAP PI 7.41.

Although SAP assistance, if i am right, is until the same date for SAP PI 7.1 and SAP PI 7.31, you have considerable improvements to choose SAP PI 7.31 (Features of PI 7.31 - Process Integration - SCN Wiki).

Also you can find several threads and documents about the considerations, check this thread

From my point of view the java mappings and if you have a lot of UDF's can be a headache, but this problem will be in PI 7.1 as well, then it's better to choose 7.31 o 7.4 version.

Regards.

silentbull
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Inaki

Thanks for your replies.

Are you saying that 7.1 and 7.3.1 all have the same date of maintenance end by SAP.

My only concern is that there is no direct upgrade path between 7.01 to 7.3.1 whereas there is a upgrade path between 7.01 to 7.11.

Things work always differently when you do a migration rather than a upgrade. 

Since the 7.3.1 or 7.4 has evolved into eclipse based model, was just concerned on the change.

Regards

Sam

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

Please check the below document

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e0a78af6-1977-2e10-0d81-ca7e9f81b...

check the section 3.1 and sap note 1528990.

regards,

Harish

silentbull
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Harish

Looks like the document is all about PI7.3 and not 7.3.1.

Reason being is that there is a direct upgrade path from 7.0 to 7.3.  But seems like SAP maintenance is coming to an end for all these by 2018.

So am confused which dual stack should i be going on with. Should i go with latest version of 7.3.1 and if so should i upgrade first from 7.0 to 7.3 and then a further upgrade from 7.3 to 7.3.1 or alltogether a fresh installation.

Regards

Krish

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>>My only concern is that there is no direct upgrade path between 7.01 to 7.3.1 whereas there is a upgrade path between 7.01 to 7.11.

If i go with SAP PAM then I don't think your assumption is correct. You should be able to upgrade from 7.0 to 7.3/7.4 directly.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/pam

silentbull
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All

I just need these clarifications to be sorted before I make my decision. Assuming I go with dual stack installation,

• Irrespective of  7.1.1 or 7.3.1 or 7.4 or 7.4.1 dual stacks,  the challenges are all the same with respect to interfaces i.e ABAP Mappings/JAVA udf/JAVA mappings.
  • Does all the above versions offer the complete export/import functionality and is there anything in specific which might be decision factor with respect to 7.1.1 vs 7.3.1 or 7.4.1

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

if you are upgrading to PO then you need to upgrade the hardware then migrate the interfaces. this is a big project. if you have less time then best option would be upgrade to Netweaver 7.4 (dual stack) SP09 available since Nov-2014. as you are currently on volume based licencing, you don't need any extra licence to upgrade the 7.4 dual stack SP09. check the maintenance optimizer.

Cheers

Hidayat

silentbull
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Hidayat

Thanks for your reply.

Further questions based on your answer.

1. Is there a upgrade path from 7.0 to 7.4? Reason is the DB/OS all change from 7.1, so unsure whether it will be a direct upgrade or fresh installation and migrate all interfaces.

2. Does SAP still allow continuing volume based licensing? How will this affect with PI 7.4.1 migration/upgrade.

3. Is it 7.4 or 7.4.1 ?

4. By going for dual stack, I can still migrate and run all my CC-BPM scenarios in 7.4 right?

Regards

Krish

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sam

1. Hareesh's reply above shows that there is an upgrade path from 7.0 to 7.4

2. AFAIK, all new licensing are CPU based. For licensing issues, you need to speak to your SAP account manager/executive as licensing are always customer specific. Don't think anyone can advise you in this forum that will be exactly applicable to your organisation.

3. 7.4 is the latest NW platform. Haven't seen 7.41 out yet

SAP NetWeaver 7.4 – SAP Help Portal Page

4. If you go for dual stack, it still has ABAP stack to support ccBPM

Additionally, if you are going for the "fresh install and migrate" option, for Integration Directory objects, you can use the Directory Migration tool. Although the title of the articles mentions "dual stack to single stack", it actually means from "classical scenario to ICO". As ICO is also available in 7.4 dual stack, you can consider migrating the non-ccBPM interfaces to ICOs to take advantage of the Java only processing. The tool supports migrating all the way back from XI3.0. Read the comments to get a better picture of the tool too.

Rgds

Eng Swee