cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database growth report using Tablespace history in DB02

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are running SAP R/3 4.7 on Oracle 9.2. We have our SAP data in the main SAP tablespace (PSAPR3E) and to calculate the daily/weekly/monthly growth, I use transaction DB02 and run History of tablespace report. I look under column Used (Kbyte), Delta for the growth figures. Is this the right procedure?

Is there any way to identify the growth that occurs at object level that is related to the daily growth?

The space statistics report (view tables and indexes history) is quite useful, but I have to go to individual object level to check its growth.

What are the tools / methods that are being used by SAP DBA's / Administrators to keep track of growth of SAP R/3 database?

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Nischal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

refer to sap

Note 706478 - Preventing size of Basis tables from increasing considerably

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

My question was using tools to monitor DB growth, e.g. DB02.

Your response does not address my question at all.

Cheers,

Nischal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not 100% sure of what you want, please check if the following helps:

DB02 -> Space Statistics -> fill the tablespace

Then you get the list of objects changed, you can see the change for day, week month and sort it.

double click on one object and you can see its detail.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel,

I am trying to list DB objects that grew as part of the daily growth.

We had a situation where the daily growth for 2 days was over 15GB (DB02 -> tablespace history-> Used(Kbyte) / Delta column), the average growth at our site is 4GB.

It’s a long task to use space statistics and drill down to every individual object to find their growth and add it, to get the overall growth for that day.

My question was, is there any other easier way to find the growth in SAP database? What is the method followed by the experienced DBA's and is my method of growth calculation the right one?

Thank you for you assistance.

Cheers,

Nischal

jawad_hasan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Nisch,

I suppose its the most easiest and fastest way to check the change on the tablespaces and then to the tables.After you know the tablespaces where most changes occur, click on table and indexes into that tablespace.You will see a long list.Now, sort by chg/day you will get the highest change on the table.

I hope its helpful, dont forget to reward points.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We do by taking a snapshot of dba_data_files and then comparing the current size to the previous size. If you keep more that just the prior size you can build a history of sizes for the datafiles/tablespaces.

If you are looking for any v$views then Sorry Oracle does not track overall database growth from database creation in any of the v$ views.

And my manager suggested me for tracking table and index growth over time, have a look dba_hist_seg_stat table.(10g).

Best thing is you need to have customed script.

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nischal,

I think you get the information you are looking for following the steps I mentioned. You get a list of all objects modified for

By default ( I think ) it shows you the dayly change and sorted alphabetically, but you can sort it by other columns.

It is possible to use the V$views as Vinod mentioned, but I think you get that information

on DB02 -> tablespaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I agree with Jawad on this one. Isolate where the growth is occuring and then drill-down to find the cause.

A simple method is to simply use DB02 to list all tables/indices over a certain size (say 5Gb in a small/medium size ERP system) and then sort them by size to show you the largest objects in the database. It should be fairly clear from the list as to where your growth is occuring. You can then select the relevant object(s) and look at daily/weekly/monthly growth, which should help you isolate whether the growth is consistent, sporadic or a one-off.

To provide a more 'official' view of database growth, consider using EWA and Service Level Reporting from within Solution Manager. These provide information in a format that you can present to management, and once set up correctly, require very little effort from yourself to provide this information.

I hope this helps,

Arwel Owen,

SAP Infrastructure Manager,

Princes Ltd,

Liverpool, UK.