cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Happens to AWS AMI's When Your CAL Subscription Expires

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just tried out the Free Trial for enterprise foundation extensions on HANA and experimented with managing my instances directly from my AWS Console. I noticed that when I created two AMI (ERP HANA and BI) directly in the AWS Console and subsequently tried to launch new Instances from that AMI my dispatcher fails. (I shut down the Hana DB manually before taking the snapshot and started both the DB and SAP Services manually on startup)

However doing exactly the CAL version of this process (Create Solution off a suspended instance) from CAL management console and launch new instance with this "My CAL solution" works fine.. Apart from the subsequent licensing error when trying when trying to log in to this new instance mased on "My CAL solution". So my assumption is that this is all happening because these are special trial licenses.

This got me wondering;

1.  Let's say I have a CAL subscription and valid development/partner licenses for my Installation, would I have the same experience as I described above?

2.  After building a solution and creating an AMI on AWS, if my cloud subscription expires or I chose for what ever reason not to renew, will this AMI that was created through create a solution option in CAL and stored as an AWS AMI be still valid.

3. Following from 2, will I be able to subsequently launch it in AWS in a new VPC and not the CAL VPC without any issues?

Would really appreciate if anyone can share some insight on this..

Regards

Ruke

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stanimir_eisner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruke,

Creating AMIs and launching instances directly from the AWS Console violates the Terms and Conditions of the corresponding free trial or SAP CAL subscription.

Best regards,

Stanimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stanimir,

Thanks for the clarification.

Kind regards