cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

archive tables in oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

is there a way to archive tables in oracle 10.2? can I do this with tables online? I found something on internet that says export/import, but I dont quite know what this mean.

Thx

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Is there any reason why you want to Archive the BALDAT Table  . ? ( Any customer recommendation on the expiry )

As detailed in the Note  ( Gaurav's post above )  why dont you delete the expired logs  ( if there is no customer requirement o keep it for long ) by scheduling SBAL_DELETE

Please read the following SAP Note  , It also contains details on archiving

195157 - Application log: Deletion of logs

Thanks ,

Manu

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

salome_szanto
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,
As mentioned by Gaurav and Manu every archive/deletion of the data should be done via application. For BALDAT specifically you have the note ...

But since you mentioned export/import, yes SAP provide tools for this (BRSPACE) that actually
is related to offline reorganization. Data is exported from the database into an export dump file. The specific table (or any other object) is droped and reconstructed again.
What is it good for certainly not for archiving but please check note 541538 - FAQ: Reorganization

under point 3 you can find which situation reorg makes sense. (Recovering disk space is among them) altogether 6 situations and except for these reorg does not make sense.
Moreover you can read more on this topic in note 821687 - FAQ: Space utilization and fragmentation in Oracle.

Hope these info are helpful for you.

Regards,
Salome

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Could you check with SCN link

suggesting reorg of table to reduce size of table.Addition to it follow SAP Note  706478 - Preventing Basis tables from increasing considerably

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Gaurav

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

is there a way to archive tables in oracle 10.2?

I would suggest you to go with SAP database archive method instead of archival of database.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

sap database archive is not an option, I need to archive tables like BALDAT, which is curentlly 30GB.

Any ideas?

thx

Chris