cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMO in SUM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to SAP, but I would like to understand what kind of downtime one should expect if we have a 17TB SAP ERP database for migrating it to HANA from Oracle using DMO. Needless to say that ours is a global system and I am trying to understand how much downtime our users can expect during the migration. We recently upgraded to EHP7.

Thanks in advance,

Ketan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Ketan,

valid question, but still hard to answer, as there are lots of parameters that influence the overall downtime. The downtime mainly consists of the data migration from source to target database and the time for the update of application data. The data migration is influenced mainly by the number of R3load pairs that you configure, by the performance of your application server (on which the SUM and the R3load pairs are running), on the network bandwidth and the performance of the source database, and on the real database content that has to be transferred (how did you measure these 17 TB?). I may give you examples on the migration rate, but as this varies from project to project (we have seen numbers from 80 to 800 GB/hour), it will not be of any value for your project until you do a test run on a clone from your production system.

Regards, Boris

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find the following information about the runtime and downtime optimization during DMO using SUM:

Database Migration Option for Software Update Manger (DMO) - Software Logistics - SCN Wiki

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Maha

RolandKramer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the following Blog you can find ways to figure out the runtime and some optimization options.

DMO: optimizing system downtime ...

Best Regards Roland

james_wong
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ketan,

Welcome to SAP!  In regard to your question, please kindly refer to the information below:

There is the SAP System Upgrade & Update Troubleshooting Wiki Space which provide many upgrade related information.  When I search the space with the word "DMO", it return page Database Migration Option for Software Update Manger. It provide a list of helpful notes, troubleshooting tips, known issues and phases of the DMO for SUM.

Take a look at notes:

2005472 - Downtime Optimized Database Migration Option for Software Update Manager

1813548 - Database Migration Option (DMO) for Software Update Manager

Best regards,

James Wong