cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define line item number while importing quotation in sales order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to define the line item number when I am importing a quotation in a sales order while in change mode (VA02).

We have sales order line items in increments of 200 i.e. 200, 400, 600, etc. When I import a quotation I want the option to inlude it below the line 200 as 201, 202, etc. Any answer is appreciated.

Thanks,

Deepak.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can address this requirement via sale order user exit but can you indicate what are you going to achieve with this logic ?   I don't recommend going for user exit for such type of requirement.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakshmipathi,

We have multiple line items in a sales order. The higher level item (usually 200) has got multiple lower level items (201,202). We quote for the lower level items. So when we import a quotation it is usually lower level items, but the system creates line item 400 instead of line item 201. Hence I need to change the line item number (to 201) so it is in proper sequential order.

Can you please let me know of the user exits that I can use for this requirement?

Thanks,

Deepak.

0 Kudos

Deepak,

Sounds like you are creating a quote for lower level lines and creating sales order with ref to quote and a higher level line is getting added- Please explain if this this is the target and you are able to achieve it.

In any case, if you setup the system with higher level item category and lower level item category configuration and in the process setup the number range for lower level with +1 increment you should be able to achieve the target.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

For the first part you are right. A higher level quote is getting added instead of adding a line by increment of +1. Right now the higher level number ranges are 200, 400, 600, etc. But I need the quote to go into a 201, 202, etc. Either that or I change the line item number manually to what i need.

I have already set up the increment of +1 based on sales order document type. Am I missing something here? Here is the screenshot.

0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

What is the item category for lower level line when it gets line item no for higher level line?

Item category configuration has to be different for both levels. If you have TAN for both, you'll have to put in an enhancement to indicate lower level lines by filling higher level line field in the sales order.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

I have different item categories for the higher level and lower level items. I also have defined / referenced the higher level in the lower level items. Here is a sample sales order.

0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

One last question, how are you managing higher level line and lower line with the same material? If this is manually managed then add item numbers manually too. If you have automated this process then you should code for line item numbers as well.

Am sure you understand why system is pulling 400 instead of 201. By default, system cannot differentiate between two lines of same material and treat them equally.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

Thats the problem. When i manually add the line item, 201 and then import a quotation it goes to line item 400. So is there any way i can manually edit the line item and change it back to 201?

We use sales order only for billing purposes, it does not drive demand. We mimic the customer PO in sales orders and have milestone billing plan and bill the customer according to the stages of completion.

And can you please explain what you mean by 'code for line items as well'?

Thanks,

Deepak.

0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Since you are getting lower level lines on quotes, why are you adding higher level lines?

Can you create different material numbers to be used as higher level line item?

The issue is that we cannot build a logic for one material differently. If you can determine a logic that system can use, you can ask a developer to update the logic in any available userexit. (That's what I meant, when I said code for line items as well).

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

I cannot create different materials for higher and lower level items. The initial sales order is for the finish product and then the customer makes numerous changes and we bill them for it. And these changes are quoted and included in the sales order after the customer accepts them. These changes are added under the higher level item (same material master) If the line item changes to 400 then we have a different material master number.

The finish product is actually a completed production line with many robots. We do not have a BOM in SAP and hence we have no reason to maintain separate material masters.

And what are the available user exits I can use for this?

Thanks,

Deepak.

0 Kudos

Deepak,

So you have an order with higher level lines and then we are adding/ removing lower level lines using the quotes? How do you import a quote in already created sales order?

What I am not able to understand is, when you are adding a line in the sales order - you can manually add the line item no as well. Is system changing the entry?

If you have access to a developer, ask him about user exits.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

Here are the steps the business follows:

1. Sales order (in SAP) mimics the customer PO (not in SAP) with line items in SO as 200, 400, 600, etc. All these line items would have different material master numbers.

2. A customer approved change comes in (based on quotation) and we need to add additional line items in the sales order (for milestone billing). If it pertains to material A we need to add line 201, 202, etc with higher level item as 200.

3. Open VA02 and add line 201 and import a quotation (create from reference). But this does not work as it creates line 600 and leaves 201 blank.

0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

3. Open VA02 and add line 201 and import a quotation (create from reference). But this does not work as it creates line 600 and leaves 201 blank.

Can you provide the process with screenshots? There must be a miss here.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is how i do it..

So in line 402 i need to insert a quotation. When i go to ''create with reference'' in the menu and I put in the quotation number

As you see below it creates line 600 (which is greyed out) instead of creating a sub item line 402. Even if it does not create 402 automatically i need the line 600 to be editable so I can change it manually to 402. Is there any user exit to achieve this?

0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Since you are adding the line with reference, system will always add a higher level line and not create a lower line item. There is no link established.

I'll suggest you ask the developer to create a upload program and have him update the line item no using the logic (sales order line item no +1 if material number in sales order = material no in quote).

I don't see any better way to do it. This has to be custom.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have anything to add?