Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel migration from 720 to 721?

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

Kernel version 720 is going to expire from 31st March 2015, So we need to move kernel version 721. Our environment is EHP4 FOR SAP ERP 6.0 / NW7.01, Kernel 720, Oracle 11.2.0.3 and Windows server 2003.

Most of the notes are available in SMP is related to kernel 721_EXT but i have not found any note to kernel 721.

Only the note i found 1726899 is quite related to kernel 721 upgradation steps.

For 701 to 720 kernel upgradation we fallowed the note 1636252 which has some different steps from the normal kernel upgradation.

For 720 to 721, What steps we have to fallow?

Please help us.

Thanks and Regards,

Farkath C

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The procedure to update the kernel from one release to another is still the same. You just need to make sure that OS and DB are supported for the target kernel version or release.

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

simply fallowing 1726899 is enough for this release upgrade from 720 to 721 ?

Thanks&Regards,

Farkath C

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Farkath,

All you need to do is download the target kernel release and extract them to the kernel location.

You need to make sure that the files from the old kernel release are deleted (after a copy backed up) before you deploy the new kernel set.

Regards

RB

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Reagan,

Thanks for your input, I will mark it as correct once the task has completed.

Thanks&Regards,

Farkath C

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Farakathulla ,

All you need is the following  ( Since you are already in  720 as per SAP Note 1713986 ) Uncar and move it to the kernel location  ( You do not need to Delete the old kernel as you are already in 720 ) . Only backup the old kernel

Thanks ,

Manu

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
>>All you need is the following  ( Since you are already in  720 as per SAP Note 1713986 ) Uncar and move it to the kernel location  ( You do not need to Delete the old kernel as you are already in 720 )<<

This is not right. Read the note carefully. Here is what the note says.

Delete all of the files from the kernel directory, including the subdirectories. This ensures that there are no remaining files from the earlier release, which have a different name in Release 7.21 or are in a different place in a subdirectory.

The source kernel is 720 and he is planning to update the kernel to 721 release.

Cheers

RB

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry Reagan i cannot Agree . This i s what i read

2. Importing the kernel 721 (EXT) on top of the kernel 720 (EXT)

If installing the kernel 721 (EXT) on top of the kernel 720 (EXT), either originally delivered or previously installed as DCK (i.e. in systems listed in the section "Reason and Prerequisites", 2A and B), the procedure is similar to an installation of a regular kernel patch:

• On UNIX and Windows:
    • We strongly recommend to back up your old kernel directory before the kernel exchange.
    • Stop the SAP system and copy downloaded kernel archives into your kernel directory as per note 19466.
  • On IBM i: Proceed as described in section "Implementing a backwards compatible kernel (AKK) with APYSIDKRN" of SAP-note 1097751.
  • Skip the sections 3 and 4 below and check the relevant points in the sections 5 and 6.

Thanks ,

Manu

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Reagan,

I have to replace the old files or i need to delete the old files and extract 721 to the kernel directory?

Please help me out in this,

Regards,

Farkath C

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

To have a consistent kernel you need to make sure that the files in the kernel directory are from the same release. The SAP kernel archives contains all the files that are required to run the application.

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Farkathulla,

Hope you are doing good.

We have seen cases previously where customer systems have sort of a "mixed" kernel. In your case, the best option would be to follow Reagan Benjamin 's advice and remove the old kernel completely as this is a release upgrade. Tatiana's note 1636252 would be the best for you to follow in this case.

Just keep a backup of the old kernel.

Hope this helps.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

SAP AGS
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

simply fallowing 1726899 is enough for this release upgrade from 720 to 721 ?

Hope you've already completed the kernel upgrade from 720 to the 721 version with above suggestions.Here i would also like to add a SAP Note for your considerations related to release 721.

1728283 - SAP Kernel 721: General Information

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Best would be to switch with kernel 721 (EXT) release instead of 721 by following standard kernel upgrade steps.

Good luck !!

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Rana,

We can not switch to 721_ext because it will not support our OS - Windows server 2003.

Please help me in steps for kernel 721.

Thanks & Regards,

Farkath C

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Why dont you want to install 721 EXT ?

For 721 EXT use the following Note

1713986 - Installation of kernel 721 (EXT)

Thanks ,

Manu

farkathulla_cikkanther
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Manu,

Kernel 721_EXT will not support our OS-Windows server 2003.

So we need to go for 721,

If i want to move from 720 to 721 means, simply a normal upgradation is enough or i have to fallow the kernel installation steps?

Thanks and regards,

Farkath C

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Farkathulla ,

Please read SAP Note 1728283 - SAP Kernel 721: General Information

I would use the same method as that 1713986   as recommended by the note ( check the first line )

"You want to use the kernel 7.21 or 7.21 EXT  as a downward-compatible kernel in one of the following NetWeaver releases and products based on these NetWeaver releases:"

Thanks ,

Manu