Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Netweaver Gateway and OData V4

former_member325225
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Does anyone have idea about...

When are we expecting SAP Netweaver Gateway to support OData v4?

Will it affect the current developments that are done as of OData v2?

Will the applications consuming OData V2 service be impacted?

Regards,

Jiten

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rajendra,

SAP does not give official dates on feature releases. But someone might be kind enough to give some approximate timeline. Is there any feature you are looking from there? Just curious.

Your current services and hence the applications consuming them should be safe. That is what backward compatibility offers.

Krishna

former_member325225
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

OData V4 is not backward compatible with earlier versions of OData. When the middleware team was downloading the client library, they raised this concern as the libraries are different for OData V2 and OData V4.

Thanks,

Jiten

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jiten,

you are right that OData V4 is not backward compatible to OData v2.

What Krishna was referring to was that if you build an OData service in SAP Gateway now which is using OData v2 this service will still run when SAP Gateway will also support OData v4.

When SAP Gateway will support OData v4 it will not do so exclusivly but existing OData v2 service implementations will still run.

So here are my answers to your questions:

When are we expecting SAP Netweaver Gateway to support OData v4?

--> I can't share a date or SP since we are not allowed to do so.

Will it affect the current developments that are done as of OData v2?

--> No.

Will the applications consuming OData V2 service be impacted?

--> No.

Is there any OData v4 specific feature you want to implement that cannot be implemented with OData v2 ?

Regards,

Andre

former_member325225
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

Thank you for your response.

Currently there are no plans to implement any OData V4 specific feature.

The concerns were raised by the client application team as they needed clarity to make a decision on what version of OData client libraries they will use and the OData V4 is not backward compatible with earlier versions of OData added to their worry.

Your and Krishna's response were quite useful.

Thanks,

Jiten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

I have few queries:

Is there any OData v4 specific feature you want to implement that cannot be implemented with OData v2 ?

1. Yes I am looking for support of asynchronous execution of batch requests that has been added in Odata v4 ( http://docs.oasis-open.org/odata/new-in-odata/v4.0/cn01/new-in-odata-v4.0-cn01.html#_Toc366145470 ).
  2. Am novice to OData, so is there any way of executing normal requests asynchronously ?

Answers (0)