Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Structure in IDT

former_member729889
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to create a sample structure for reporting (i.e. Web Intelligence) in IDT.

Details can be seen in the screenshot below.

So far, I found out that derived tables can be used for creating such structures.

However, I'm not sure how to define with mulriple values and also with includes, excludes and groupings.

Can someone suggest a solution and help me with this?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

I'm assuming that what you've described as your "reporting structure" is the outline of the report you're trying to build.  If I understand correctly, it looks like you're working backwards from a specific reporting requirement, and what you are trying to solve at the universe level in IDT should be solved in WebI instead using formulas. 

My advice would be to keep things as simple as possible on the universe side: one analysis axis is the country, another the product category, another the group: provide dimensions for each.  You can then create variables in WebI which include or exclude specific values of these dimensions according to the rules you've specified.

If what you have in mind is separate universe objects for each line in your report, with an implicit filtering behind them, consider that this will make totaling quantities across countries more complicated -- if that is a requirement -- and the implicit filtering according to different rules in different countries will mean that you are "totaling apples and oranges" if you do try to do so anyway.  Therefore you may also wish to create more general purpose objects to provide this flexibility.

If you do go the route of specific universe objects, make sure to build them on separate table aliases or derived tables -- I'd prefer alias tables with equijoin filters, for the sake of performance -- since you can't otherwise filter the same data from the same table at the same time with contradictory filters (where country = 'Italy' and country = 'Spain' doesn't return a particularly interesting result set... )

Hope this helps.

Emily

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes, i agree.  Thanks for taking the time to reply with such a detailed answer.

to me, this requirement has the feel of an SAP BW "Accounting Model" characteristic structure (usually customers model this kind of semantic in the source Bex query )

regards,

H

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member729889
Participant
0 Kudos

Some ideas maybe?

former_member193452
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Will users be selecting their own filters ?

- Then build multiple predefined filters

or is this selected by user or groups a mandatory filtering?

explore building the filters into row level restrictions and applying to user groups?

Or Mandatory filters can be applied on folder objects (create a predefined filter and check the mandatory filter box apply on folder)

former_member729889
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jacqueline,    

Thanks for the answer.

Report will only prompt for a date, that's all.

It will be even scheduled with a dynamic date (e.g yesterday).

So, I guess that will not work.

PS : this structure will have more rows. Therefor I can't create tables and bring them together like a single one.

Reporting
  Structure
DailyMTDYTD
1. Spain (PC)
  (Group-3 excluded)
2. Italy (PC
  & Tablet)
2.1 Italy (PC & Tablet) (Group-1)
2.1 Italy
  (Tablet) (Group-2)