Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation for IDM 7.2

santiobejero
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am new in IDM, just finished reading most of the documentation (so just to have a background what are the steps, background etc. behind IDM). So now, I will now start the installation process. This is the first time I will be installing a system or an SAP Product. I just read in the documentation:

“It is possible to run the script file from the server
running Management Console which has the Oracle Client for Microsoft Windows
Installed. You need to install the 32 bit version of the Oracle Client if you are
running a 32-bit Java Virtual Machine in Microsoft.”

I, by the way needs to install it in Oracle. I have already downloaded the SAP IDM 7.2 Installers from SAP Marketplace.

Below is my system set up:

System Type: 64-bit

Few are my question (I apologize if my questions may sound beginner like, but as I have said, I am new in Installation. )

1. How do I run the scripts in th MMC, I already checked and it is checking only for .msc file types?

2. If Oracle Client needs to be installed, do I still download a separate installer from Oracle for the client or the SAP Download for the IDM already have that Oracle Client)?

3. What is your preffered oracle version based on my system setup?

Really appreciate any inputs.

Thank you!

Regards,

Santi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ChrisPS
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Santi,

1. How do I run the scripts in the MMC, I already checked and it is checking only for .msc file types?

-> I would advise copying the scripts to the Oracle db server and run them from there which will avoid errors in the install

2. If Oracle Client needs to be installed, do I still download a separate installer from Oracle for the client or the SAP Download for the IDM already have that Oracle Client?

-> The client is required by the MMC in order to connect to the IdM database. AFAIK the client is installed as part of the Oracle database installation therefore you could check for it if in the Oracle installation files if you plan to install the MMC on a separate server to the Oracle DB. The client doesn't come with the IdM installation.

There was already some threads on this same topic e.g.  http://scn.sap.com/thread/3382251

3. What is your preferred oracle version based on my system setup?

-> See the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) to see what versions of Oracle are supported with SAP Identity management

Product Availability Matrix | SAP Support Portal

to decide which you need to use

Thanks,

Chris

santiobejero
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the detailed answers. Really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Regards,

Santi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Santi,

I would really advice to not try this on your own (first install and all), but with the help of a senior colleague with some experience in installation and configuration.

Just reading the documentation cannot prepare and support as well as experience and training can.

Regards,

Steffi.

santiobejero
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

Thank you for the comments. I am more of studying this and in two days time a senior will be in my side while I install this. I am just preparing for the questions (testing of knowledge. ).

Regards,

Santi

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Okay. Well, that's good. Have fun!

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It all depends on your background and ambitions, good luck!

If you're familiar with SAP Portal administration stuff then the Oracle DB install remains tricky bit. Deploying the Web Dynpro UI and configuring the DB-access requires bit or Portal skills (plus access) as does configuring the access for the users to UI in UME.

Installing the runtime and design time (MMC) is next/next/finish-type of installation.

Most of the JRE and JDBC driver questions here relate to non-SQL Server users, getting the correct libraries (which you refer in MMC tools/options) can take some head scratching.

Configuration is then totally different matter and depends on what source/target-systems are involved and how much custom workflows etc are needed.

regards, Tero