Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A small issue and a few questions on Technical Monitoring via Solution Manager

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have Technical Monitoring running since a couple of weeks. I have noticed, that it gives quite often fake messages, that different

systems are unavailable, while the systems themselves enjoy perfect health! In order to rectify this problem, I have followed the

advice, that Ruth on this forum gave me: I have changed the availability metric to Best rated among n measurements and then

I have specified to take 15 bad measurements, before an alert is being triggered.

I can confirm that this is really working, as my colleague yesterday has quickly restarted a system for a parameter change, and no

alerts for that system were triggered!

Though I wanted to change another monitoring metric for the production systems, and just while applying the monitoring templates,

a fake alert for the production ERP system came, saying that it is unavailable !! Could you kindly advise on how to prevent this from

happening, or it is quite normal for this to happen when applying templates ?

And now one more question - since I configured technical monitoring, the Solution Manager system has become much busier than

before - often nearly all the dialog processes are used, I have already increased their number twice. There are also 10-15 dumps

per day, that various reports are crashing, because the maximum run time has been exceeded. Why is this happening, there are no

dialog users using the system besides me, and I am not getting dumps. Also what, is the recommended setting for rdisp/max_wprun_time ?

Today I have set it to 1800, do you think that it is enough ? Currently there are 9 dialog processes. Our Solution Manager is monitoring

only 13 systems - 7 ABAP and 6 Java.

Many thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

You can check within the Extractors framework -> configuration, the number of processes configured for each managed system. This way you can control the number of DIA running on your solman system.

You also need to ensure that the Job EFWK RESOURCE MANAGER is scheduled to run every minute. If this is any different then the extraction will take much longer and therefore the processes will also run longer.

Templates can be changed anytime, however they should be applied in live environment in a controlled manner (during out-of-hours).

Regards

Deepak

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak,

many thanks for answering! Please kindly advise how exactly to get to this Extractors framework -> configuration. I tried through SM_WORKCENTER / SAP Solution Manager Administration / Technical Systems / Extractor Framework / Start embedded. Unfortunately I did not see such settings there. Then under Configuration, there is a Resources Cap column, but I don't think that you are talking about this... Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I am talking about the Resource cap. The value here dictates the number of dialog process during extraction for that system.

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak

many thanks for your answer - just a few more details please, before I make some changes.

When I opened the Technical Systems in the SAP Solution Manager Administration work center, there are all the systems, including the diagnostics agents. Where exactly shall I change the Resource cap. ? On the diagnostics agents, on each Technical System (ABAP, Java) or only on the Solution Manager ?

Currently I have the following configuration - what shall I modify exactly ?

Many thanks!

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What stack of SolMan do you have installed?

Also have you install the central correction note and kept it up to date?  Have you installed any of the MAI correction notes and kept them up to date?

There is a note specific to SolMan having its rdisp/max_wprun_time set to 1800 (or higher don't recall the value), don't recall the note but I bet it can be found by the parameter name and a filter on sv-smg.

I have SP 12 installed and only have 15 Dialog/30 Background and my system runs smooth; and has 50 to 75 systems being monitored.

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Billy and many thanks for answering! I have SPS 12. The central note is OK. I haven't installed any MAI correction notes. I thought those belong under the central note (as it calls for implementing an incredible amount of notes, when implemented). If not, please recommend which notes should I  apply.

I see that you have much more background processes than me. I have 12 DIA and 5 BGD processes. But also much less systems to monitor! I have set rdisp/max_wprun_time to 3600 and it seems OK for now... Thanks!