Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Event based scheduling

former_member297636
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I came to a halt while scheduling web intelligence reports based on file based events. The events are defined properly with server path and file name in CMC and the production run was made a few time in the last 2 days but the reports did not trigger consistently. To be precise, some events trigger fine in the 3rd attempt but others did not trigger the Schedule/report run process at all. Although, all the schedules are set up the same way in CMC with start time set before the trigger file (.txt) arrives the BOBJEvents folder on the server location .

BTW, does double clicking the Batch file in the BOBJEvents folder trigger the schedule based on that event ?? just wondering what the command prompt window does that pops up for a few seconds and vanishes when double clicking the Batch file.

Please help with your valuable inputs, I'd really appreciate any good advice on this.

Thanks

Gaurav

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member297636
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies folks, I appreciate it.

I tried all the suggestions offered by you but the situation in my case is sporadic. An event works fine on one report and the trigger goes off as per the set schedule whereas the same event does not trigger another report with similar schedule set up. I've checked the folder path, server name and other event settings for any errors, checked the schedule settings too, everything seems alike.

In an effort to dig deep into this scenario, I compared the scripts in the .txt files in BOBJEvents folder in the server location and found nothing different or missing in the event .txt file that's not firing vs the one that works fine.

Can you think of anything else that I can possibly look into to investigate this.

thanks again

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would suggest you to check the Event Server to confirm the file event functionality.

Go to CMC

Click on Servers - > "Event Servers"

Right click and select "Metrics"

In metrics, you will find when the files were last recognized by the event server.

If any specific files are not recognized, I would suggest you to re-create that particular file event.

BOBJ Events will take care of replacing the files. You don't have to delete the old files daily.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

We had the same issue, the trick that solved our issues by deleting the existing file and placing new file.

Thanks,

Shakthi Raj Natarajan.

former_member297636
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Shakti. Did you delete the .txt files from the BOBJEvents folder, Where do we place the new files from ? Can you please elaborate.

Thanks

Gaurav

former_member297636
Participant
0 Kudos

Another question crossing my mind is, Do we need to delete the files each time before the schedules run time ? Say no please .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

1) We have created folder in application server for event based scheduling.

2) Once schedule completes successfully, we will get an automatic email  to the windows administration alert box which intern tigers windows scheduler to delete the file from the folder where the event is pointing.

3) The new file will created when the schedule needs to start using another windows scheduler.

Summary

Forget about the email process, just delete the file from application folder using windows scheduler at given time frame.

To create a new file in the folder using windows scheduler,

Step

1) Create a temporary folder which holds a .txt file

2) Windows scheduler will trigger a script which will  copy the files from temporary folder and place it in application folder. 

Thanks,

Shakthi Raj Natarajan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

we have delete the file every time for us to make it work but I am not sure is it a best practice in SAP BO. Raise a support call to SAP.

Sorry,

Shakthi Raj Natarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately it's a YES

-Mayur

former_member297636
Participant
0 Kudos

I see, these are daily reports and manually deleting these files to ensure a successful run everyday doesn't sound a good idea. Can you tell me if events can be triggered multiple times a day or just once a day, is there a limit to that ?

0 Kudos

There is no limit on how many events can be triggered in a day.

They will all succeed irrespective, unless the files are cleared before the schedule is run.

you may create another event based on schedule completion(success or failure) that will run a batch script(object package) to clear xyz.txt file from the location so it is deleted before the next trigger.

former_member297636
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Kamiya,

Can you please tell me how the recurrence option effect the events execution. I'm trying to schedule daily reports based on events and set the recurrence to DAILY (Every 1 day) with date and time prior to the event trigger time or should it be set to NOW ?

Just want to be sure about this.

thanks

Gaurav